Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these dark spots on the succulent I bought from Bunnings?

Kiki_Bouba
Just Starting Out

What are these dark spots on the succulent I bought from Bunnings?

Hi everyone,

I very recently got this Bishop's Cap succulent from Bunnings, but there are some black spots appearing on it. I thought it was overwatering, so I've only watered it once since I got it (soil was dry all the way through). Could it be another issue like root rot?

IMG_1263.jpgIMG_1264.jpgIMG_1265.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What are these dark spots on the succulent I bought from Bunnings?

Hello @Kiki_Bouba 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the health of your succulent.

The most common causes of succulents turning brown are sun damage or sun burn due to over exposure to sunlight, underwatering, insufficient nutrition and disease.

Looking at the photo, the spots don't seem to be too bad, I suspect that it is getting too much direct sunlight. I propose putting the succulent out of any direct sunlight and observe it for the next few weeks. 

I also suggest having a look at the soil composition of the pot. If the succulent has been in the same pot for quite a while, it's likely that all the nutrients in it might have already drained out. I suggest having a look at the Yates 2.5L Specialty Potting Mix Cacti & Succulents should you decide to repot your succulent.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects