Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are your favourite scented plants?

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

What are your favourite scented plants?

Lilac.jpegI'm wondering whether any community members have planted fragrant gardens? I'd love to know what you've planted and why.

I always appreciate scented plants as I take the dog around the neighbourhood for his evening wander, but I've recently been thinking about bringing some fragrance to my own garden.

The scent of honeysuckle reminds me of the house I grew up in. Lilac and gardenias remind me of my grandmother's house. I'm thinking I might start with a lemon myrtle.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What are your favourite scented plants?

What are your favourites @Noelle?

Every garden has to have lavender, doesn't it?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Fragrance is as important in a garden as colour - it excites the senses and adds another dimension to the enjoyment of plants.It's hard to choose just one plant that I can't do without.

One of my favorite perfumed plants is traditional English lavender (delightful in the garden in bloom or harvested and later put into sachets for the linen cupboard and jumper drawer).

I tend to prefer sweet rather than heady scents, so pink jasmine, citrus (lemon or lime) and roses usually feature. In the colder months, the delicate pink flower heads luculia (Luculia gratissima) and wintersweet (Chimonanthus praecox) both add fragrance to an otherwise drab winter landscape.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd have to go with lavender and common jasmine. Jasmine would have to be one of my favourites. My parents had an enormous wall of it growing on a balcony and up onto the roof. It was spectacular. A pair of doves would nest in it each year, which we would closely watch as they raised their chicks.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vica
Having an Impact

AE6F81D3-F074-4F92-B53B-1256A6F1EE66.jpeg

B4C0F635-60FC-4E3A-86E5-BD008BB55286.jpeg

I also have a jasmine wall behind my back yard . It has been there when I moved in. We smell its nice smell ,watch its petal fall every year. What nice life we all have! 

Vica

vica
Having an Impact

I love lavender , and I also love sunflowers. It is so bright ,so nice , it brings many happies for us. And it is very easy to care.

Vica

182279C7-C1C9-4254-A839-D24E2E21AC5F.jpeg

BD5B9F56-0D4E-42CB-8615-EC590E995E1E.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects