Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What chicken coop do i buy?

ffr
Just Starting Out

What chicken coop do i buy?

i’m a future chicken owner but i’ve never owned them before. i want to get two isa brown chickens and i’ve done a lot of research on them but i can’t seem to find a coop that is suitable for them but still low cost. i was thing of buying this coop-https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-1042-x-920-x-520mm-pet-cabin-animal-enclosure_p3440175 because it is in my price range but is it even for chickens? if it is would it be good for the chickens? help would be very much appreciated!!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what chicken coop do i buy?

Hi @ffr,

I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice from our knowledgeable members about raising chickens. It's certainly a popular topic on the forum.

You might like to start by checking out some of their own projects as it will give you an idea of what they are using:

You'll notice a running theme with these projects that if you choose a smaller coop like the one you're considering, you'll need to also provide a run or open area for the chickens. That coop would be adequate for them to sleep/nest in, but not as a stand-alone enclosure. Do you have room for a run or an open foraging area?

@mich1972 might like to give us some tips on what would be required and if this would be a suitable nesting arrangement for two chickens.

I look forward to following along.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: what chicken coop do i buy?

Hello

you are about to start a fun and rewarding experience. Isa’s have the best personality and if it is eggs you want, they are good layers. They are a mid size chicken. The size of the coop  is basically 1m x 1m… Mitchell is correct, chickens need space … will they free range? They need to forage and scratch for food, they love dirt baths and lying in the sun. The coop is great, its good for their sleeping/laying - but definitely need to roam and need a run of some sort. Do you know anyone handy that can build one? Happy to answer any questions. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects