Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What citrus tree is this?

Bedi
Getting Established

What citrus tree is this?

We moved into our new property which has the below citrus tree in the backyard.

I do not know anything about the citrus tree and like to get a better understanding what type of citrus tree it is, and how its health look based on the pictures.

I also like some advise on how to look after it as to me the tree does not look well, but then again I am an inexperienced gardener.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Kind regards,

Derk

Citrus-tree1.jpgCitrus-tree2.jpgCitrus-tree3.jpgCitrus-tree4.jpgCitrus-tree5.jpg

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: I like some help with gaining a better understanding of my citrus tree I have in my garden.

Hi @Bedi . I don't know what's going on there, but that fruit doesn't look great, does it? Perhaps our garden oracles @EricL , @Noelle and @Adam_W might be able to tell us what's going on. 

What area do you live in, and what has the weather been like? Those details might help.

Brad

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What citrus tree is this?

Hi @Bedi 

Could you please take some close-up photos of the fruits so we can get a better idea of what may be causing the severe discoloration of the skin?

Also some info about your location and climate would help too - different pests and diseases affect citrus in different areas of the country.

Once we know where you are and what the problem may be with the fruit, we should be able to give you some growing tips to improve the health of the tree (although the new growth looks pretty good!) and how to look after it.

Bedi
Getting Established

Re: I like some help with gaining a better understanding of my citrus tree I have in my garden.

Thank you for the feedback Brad. 

Derk

Bedi
Getting Established

Hi @Noelle

I have attached some additional foto's.

We live in Queensland Burnett / Wide bay area. Lots f sun, therefore sub tropical climate.

The tree is getting a lot of sun our front of the property is facing south so the back yard gets pretty much sun all day.

I also added a pic with some fauna living in the tree, not sure if this is detrimental to the tree. I also like to know if I should cut the new sprouts at the stem of the tree.

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

DerkCitrus-tree6.jpglocal wildlife living in the treelocal wildlife living in the treeshoots from the stem of the treeshoots from the stem of the treeCitrus-tree10.jpgCitrus-tree11.jpgCitrus-tree12.jpg

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @Bedi 

The wildlife is a shield bug and isn't helpful to the tree - a natural insecticide like pyrethrum will control them.

The shoot from the base is the rootstock and should be completely removed - any shoots from below the graft union are usually from the rootstock. If they are left they will grow vigorously to the overall detriment of the tree above.

The black patches on the skin look like disease - probably a fungal or bacterial disease (I suspect bacterial).  Whichever, it isn't good news.  Remove affected fruit and dispose of them in the rubbish, not into the compost. Most often, citrus afflicted in this way are orange trees and we're guessing your tree is a variety of orange.

Healthy trees are usually able to withstand diseases so make sure you give the tree a slow or controlled release citrus fertiliser twice a year - in August and again in March.  If possible, remove the grass and weeds from around the trunk but don't dig them out - citrus have shallow root systems that don't like being disturbed. Keep the circle beneath the tree weed and lawn free - you can mulch this area but keep the mulch clear of the trunk to prevent decay around the crown and graft area.  If it doesn't rain, water well at least once a week over the cooler months and twice a week over summer.  Make sure the roots are never waterlogged.

Good luck!

Bedi
Getting Established

Hi Noelle,

Thank you so much for all the feedback. That is off great help. 

I will take this at hart and work through the issues and nurture the tree. it is so great to have such fruit tree in the garden.

Thank you so much.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects