Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What fertiliser to use on potato plant?

balaji27
Having an Impact

What fertiliser to use on potato plant?

Hello Team,

Would you please advise the right fertilizer to use for potato plant to boost the tubular growth? Also what should be pH of the soil - acidic or basic? I had a plant with good plant growth, but little or no potato underneath. Can I use the potatoes bought from the veggie stores for planting? Your advice for a good harvest is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Balaji.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What fertiliser to use on potato plant?

Hello @balaji27 

I suggest having a look at this guide - How to plant, grow and harvest potatoes. The steps you are looking for are in the guide. 

The potato is considered a perennial, although we typically treat it as an annual root crop. Contrary to popular belief, the potato tuber is not a root; instead, it functions as a storage organ meant to aid the plant's survival and regeneration.

I propose using Yates 1.5kg Thrive Natural Vegie And Herb Organic Based Pelletised Plant Food. It is ideal for all types of homegrown vegetables such as root vegetables including carrots, potatoes, radishes, beetroot, beans, peas, leafy greens, tomatoes, zucchini, pumpkin, cucumber, capsicums, chillies, cabbages and all types of herbs.

Keep in mind that the majority of commercially available potatoes undergo treatment with sprout inhibitors to prevent sprouting in your storage space. Therefore, it is advisable to purchase specialized seed potatoes from the store.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What fertiliser to use on potato plant?

Thanks a lot @EricL, that is super useful information. Hope I will have success this time.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects