Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What further tips would you have for my garden?

NRG22
Finding My Feet

What further tips would you have for my garden?

Hi,

I'm looking at building a new garden at the front of my house. 
I recently cut down and removed a large hedge that was blocking my whole facade and now I'm looking at re-doing it all.

I want to plant a couple of native grasses and around 2-4 Callistemons for some colour and wildlife with some bark/mulch base, and edging it with Brighton retaining wall blocks.

My questions are:

1. Can I plant around the previous hedge roots? approx. 4 in each bed, rather than digging them out.

2. How do I prepare the base for the retaining wall blocks? Do I use a compactor and paver sand?

3. Have I missed anything else for preparation? Or should I add anything else?

Thank you33.jpg11.jpg22.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What further tips would you have for my garden?

Hi @NRG22,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and thank you for your question about transforming your front garden.

Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon, so let me tag our garden and landscape experienced members @prettyliving@Itai, and @Noelle to check on what tips they would give. In the meantime, check out this great article How to build a retaining wall by @Adam_W as there may be some good food for thought in there with the prep work. 

We look forward to seeing your transformation, please update us with photos of your progress. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @NRG22 

The stumps will eventually rot out but it may take some time, given their girth!

Dig the soil over to around 300mm deep and add in a reasonable amount of compost / soil improver, to replenish the organic content of the soil and assist with moisture absorption and retention. Keep the soil weed-free while building the retaining wall and until planting.

About a month before your anticipated planting time, add a controlled release fertiliser to ensure your new plants will be well nourished while they establish.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @NRG22 

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion Retaining wall using Eziwall Lite Retaining Wall Block by @trevor_s. It's important that a strong base be made for the Brighton Masonry 130 x 100 x 200mm Cream Eziwall Lite Retaining Wall Block to prevent the pavers from sinking or shifting.

In regards to the roots in the soil, I suggest trimming off the large pieces in order to give your new plants extra room to settle in. I would definitely follow @Noelle's advice regarding soil preparation. Just remember that a good watering schedule is important to help with the establishment of your plants.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

NRG22
Finding My Feet

It's been such a long time, but I wanted to update and seek more advice. 
I appreciate your previous help and I've finally got around to adding a short wall block.  I think it looks alright but now I'm looking for ideas to plant.

I would love some natives that preferably flower, for wildlife and bees. I was thinking a low lying bottlebrush on either side with a Honey Pots Eucaplyptus and something else to bring it together, like a native grass(?) with mulch to finish it off.

Would it look alright? I'm open to ideas :smile:

PXL001.jpg

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

You can definitely create a Native garden as long as they are small growing and not going to grow onto the footpaths. When you get time @NRG22 pop into your local Bunnings store and speak to the Horticulturist there about plant choices for your local area 🪴💚 Good luck and keep in touch. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @NRG22, 

My only other tip is to think about drought-tolerant plants that you might be able to mix into your garden layout. Plants like lavender, agave and aloe vera would be a nice possible addition.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects