Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What herbs to grow to keep flies away?

tisme
Growing in Experience

What herbs to grow to keep flies away?

flies are coming back I gather that growing herbs in pots at the door helps , anyone know what herbs /what size pots 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: herbs

Hi @tisme,

Some plants which deter flies and mosquitos are Tansy, Rosemary, Mint, Catnip, Lavender, Basil, Lemongrass and Bay leaf. Most of these can be easily grown in smaller containers near your door. These Garden-Up systems make great use of wall space, so they are certainly worth considering.

I'll be keen to hear if our members have any other suggestions. Let me mention @mich1972, @Noelle and @LisasGarden to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tisme
Growing in Experience

thanks for that , how ever I do it it has to be free standing , and not make a mess of a concrete porch floor ( rental ) 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What about a slimline Raised Mobile Garden Planter @tisme? They would keep everything neat and prevent a mess on the concrete.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc  I love Lemon Scented Geraniums - Citronella for mosquitoes repellent when you are sitting outside. Just rub the foliage to release the scent 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What herbs to grow to keep flies away?

This is a great question, I have been very curious myself @tisme  - I am also renting but am keen to get a little raised garden bed going and planting some rosemary, lavender, and lemongrass in it and doing a separate pot of lemon scented geraniums to put right next to the door.

Thank you for the tips @mich1972  and @MitchellMc 

Katie

tisme
Growing in Experience

Re: What herbs to grow to keep flies away?

i thought about citronella , thats whats used in candles etc wonder if that works 

tisme
Growing in Experience

i cant find the citronella plant bunnings doesnt seem to stock it 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tisme,

I've had a look for you as well, and it appears that citronella plants are not currently stocked. You might like to speak with a helpful nursery team member at your local store as they might be able to special order some plants for you.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects