Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is eating/growing on my Broccoli plants?

SamJ
Just Starting Out

What is eating/growing on my Broccoli plants?

About a month ago I planted about 6 Broccoli seedlings in my raised garden bed. However, the last week or so I have noticed these changes on my plants: 

4FE191EC-28FF-4528-B44B-E07387E2F00B.jpeg

B4ABE4FD-F89D-47CC-ACAC-5933EB8FF9D1.jpeg

2CEE2F59-DFFB-4CD8-A09E-178C9910A4D9.jpeg

F557BBE4-EE58-4BBD-A3FC-0469B496649A.jpeg

Any ideas on what the problems may be caused by would be greatly appreciated, also any suggestions on methods/products to treat this problem are welcome :smile: thank you 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: I need help identifying what is eating/growing on my Broccoli plants

Hi @SamJ

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really glad to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with other members.

Let me tag some experienced gardeners who might be able to identify the problem you're having with your broccoli and suggest some remedies: @Noelle, @Adam_W, @bergs, @Grub80, @mich1972 

I'm sure @MitchellMc will also be more than happy to assist when he is back on the site tomorrow.

Please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: I need help identifying what is eating/growing on my Broccoli plants

Grubs , probably the white cabbage moth. The grubs eat through the leaves , eating all the chlorophyll and leaving ‘ window panes ‘ use can safely spray with Dipel or Success , these are safe for your edibles. 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What is eating/growing on my Broccoli plants?

Also there is a tiny little grub that burrows through and you will see tiny little brown moths flying around. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is eating/growing on my Broccoli plants?

Hi @SamJ,

I'd also like to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I'll second the Yates 40g Natures Way Caterpillar Killer Dipel Insecticide recommendation by @mich1972. It's a fantastic certified organic product for dealing with caterpillars on edibles. I've always had customers return to tell me how fantastic it is when I have recommended it to them.

We look forward to seeing you get this pest under control and an update on your garden progress.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects