Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is eating my lilly pilly berries and how to treat this?

cgojanur
Just Starting Out

What is eating my lilly pilly berries and how to treat this?

D9010CB5-F23F-4183-AC40-2D3FF69B2D0F.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is eating my lilly pilly berries and how to treat this?

Hello @cgojanur 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Lilly Pilly berries.

In order for us to give you a thorough diagnosis, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the leaves, roots and soil of the Lilly Pilly. There might be multiple things affecting your plant, but the only way well be able to find out is if we see the symptoms. How often do you water the plant? Have you fertilized it recently? Is the damage only limited to your Lilly Pilly or is it affecting the other plants in your garden?

Can you please check if your soil is waterlogged? I suggest digging into the soil at least 20mm deep and see if the soil is wet. If it is, odds are the water is not draining out fast enough. Any other information you can tell us about the plants surroundings and the things that have been happening to it will help in diagnosing it.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
John57
Building a Reputation

Looks bigger than Calypso beetles that ravaged my Lilipilly, but I’m using 2xConfidor tablets to try and handle my pests. Search online to buy this pesticide tablet. Good luck 👍 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @John57 

Thank you for the pesticide recommendations. I was thinking that it could be Calypso beetle larvae, but they are never that big. It looks more like grub worms, but I was hoping to see more pictures of the plant to get a better idea of its condition.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cgojanur 

Are the grubs still eating your Lilly Pilly berries or have they disappeared altogether? If the leaves are being eaten as well, then odds are it could be an insect infestation. If so, we just need to identify which insect, then we can recommend an appropriate spray for the plant. 

Have a look under the leaves as sometime that's where they rest during the day.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects