Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best whippersnipper for ladies to use?

Emfrog
Growing in Experience

What is the best whippersnipper for ladies to use?

Hi

I would like to know what the best whippersnipper is for ladies to use. I have a bad shoulder and struggle to pull chokes and cords to get engines started and struggle a bit with some heavier models. I have a small 18V Ryobi skin whippersnipper, but, unfortunately it is not suitable and I need something more heavy duty. Any recommendations?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best whippersnipper for ladies to use?

Hello @Emfrog

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about whipper snippers.

If you're looking for the next step up in the Ryobi range, I suggest the Ryobi 36V 2.0Ah Straight Shaft Line Trimmer Kit. It is 36V with a 2.0 amp power output and is 3.6kg. It is rated for light to medium grass cutting. If you really want something with power, I recommend the Ryobi 36V 4.0Ah Brushless Line Trimmer Kit. This unit has the same 36 voltage but pumps out 4.0 amps of power and is 4.9kg. This line trimmer is rated for heavy-duty garden work.

The difference between the two is the run time and area covered. The 36V 2.0amp unit will cover an area of 1500 meters with a run time of 50 min with no load. The 36V 4.0amp will cover 2200 meters with a run time of 40min on high speed and 60 min on low speed with no load. Both have harnesses so you can hang them over your good shoulder. 

I recommend visiting your nearest store and have a feel for the weight and see which unit is right for you.

Here is a handy video from Ryobi:  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Emfrog
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric! :smile: 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Emfrog,

Please let us know what model you end up going with and what your impressions are. I'm sure the rest of the Bunnings Workshop community would find your review helpful. 

Welcome to the community. We're looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans for around the house and garden and are here to help with anything you need. 

Jason

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

Hi

I have found that the Ozito cordless tools are perfect for ladies.

The Ozito line trimmer is well balanced and weighted with an adjustable head. The plastic blades are a god send (no more winding on line) and my husband now thinks it’s the best 😂

I purchased the larger capacity battery which gives you longer “work time”.
Interchangeable batteries work well with our hedge trimmer, blower and pole pruner.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Missskybird. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for adding to the discussion.

I used an Ozito PXC 18V Grass Trimmer Kit for trimming up my lawn for a considerable period of time and found it not only convenient but adequate for my Buffalo lawn. I was initially suspicious about how long those blades would last but delightfully surprised once I used them. I actually purchased the machine to do some light trimming to keep the edges in check between using my petrol line trimmer. However, I found that the Ozito coped well as a stand-alone tool.

I'm sure @Emfrog and the rest of our community members appreciate your feedback. We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around your house and garden, and we would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Emfrog
Growing in Experience

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm going to go with the Ryobi battery version. My yard is in need of a desperate trim and cleaning up!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Emfrog

Please make sure to post a picture of your final choice. I'm sure our members are keen to see what you've chosen. They would also probably want to hear your review of the product after using it in your garden.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Fossil1
Getting Established

I’m a 75 yr female and purchased a ryobi battery whippersnipper that has the loaded line reels that you just pop in. Couldn’t be easier. I’m very happy, my garden is large and I find it does a great job. Also have the ryobi mower so the batteries fit either. Great for women to use

Emfrog
Growing in Experience

Absolutely love it. Best money I spent. It's very light and has a lot of power! Only thing is that the battery doesn't last too long, other than that, it's brilliant! 

20220418_124553.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects