Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the problem with my Hardenbergia leaves?

Angelsword
Finding My Feet

What is the problem with my Hardenbergia leaves?

20220109_164714.jpg

 Hi, beginning gardener here, have had this for 6 months or so but the problem is only within the last month.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the problem with my Hardenbergia leaves?

HI @Angelsword

Thank you for posting a photo of your Hardenbergia. A fungus that often harms Hardenbergia is Elsinoe leaf spot. This fungus causes discoloured patches on leaves and stems. The infected parts will rot away and cause it to spread even further along the garden bed. An imbalance in the soil composition and overwatering creates the perfect environment for fungal growth.

I suggest removing all the infected leaves and stems, don't mix them in with your compost, throw them straight into the bin. I recommend using Yates 750ml Fungus Gun Systemic Disease Spray. Yates Fungus Gun is a broad-spectrum fungicide for roses and ornamentals that works systemically within the plant providing both protective and curative action.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Hardenbergia in better condition.

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle, @Adam_W, and @BradN for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Good advice @EricL 

@Angelsword - this could also be symptomatic of some sort of skeletonising insect. Check the underside of the foliage for insect larvae. If you see anything like that treat it with an insecticide for sucking and chewing insects. Yates 200ml Success Ultra Insect Control - Bunnings Australia

Marina1
Getting Established

Hi All,

I have had the exact same experience, and it happened rapidly too. This is the second time I have planted Hadenbergia and both times it's been unsuccessful. I am finding it is very sensitive to the environment. I cannot control when it rains for instance. I think I may need to start again with a plant that is more hardy or appropriate for my environment? I wonder what the best process is from here to start again, and what plant I should attempt to plant instead? I need a climber. It gets full sun almost all day year round, but if the soil gets wet from rain, I can't control how quickly it drains. While it's very sandy soil, I can top up with good soil and feed regularly, and mulch. Help please?? Thimage_67225345.JPGAs well as brown spots, some leaves have the powdery blue mildew. I have taken some leaves away but there are now too many to take away. I think the whole plant needs to go. I was soo hoping it wouldn't need to go because I was looking forward to the Winter flowers!As well as brown spots, some leaves have the powdery blue mildew. I have taken some leaves away but there are now too many to take away. I think the whole plant needs to go. I was soo hoping it wouldn't need to go because I was looking forward to the Winter flowers!image_67511297 (1).JPGimage_67504641 (3).JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Marina1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your Hardenbergia.

As a possible replacement, I suggest having a look at the 140mm Star Jasmine - Trachelospermum jasminoides. It prefers moist, well-drained loamy soil. But will tolerate sand and clay soil types.

Although your Hardenbergia is currently not doing so well, have you tried aerating the soil with a Saxon Hand Cultivator with Timber Handle. I propose moving the mulch to the side to help with the moisture evaporation in the soil. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

Eric

Marina1
Getting Established

Thank you Eric. After 2 troubling goes with the Hardenbergia and lots and lots of maintenance, I think I’m spent on this plant. It hasn’t been as hardy as people claim. Would I need a trellis for the star Jasmin or can it climb up my steel horizontal wires? Also, what about a thornless bougainvillea - could it climb to just 2-3 metres?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Marina1 

You would probably need to modify your horizontal lines and add some vertical wires, it does not have to be heavy duty. Some ordinary galvanized wire looped on the horizontal ones should be enough. This will allow the Star jasmine to climb upwards. 

The bougainvillea will probably need constant trimming as it grows very tall. 

Eric

Marina1
Getting Established

Excellent, thank you Eric!

Marina1
Getting Established

Hi again Eric,

One last question if I may.

I'm not sure about measurements? The 140mm star Jasmine only goes to 200mm high, and 140mm wide... and my area is a little bit larger than that - both height and width. Will the 140mm version still be right, or should I go the 200mm https://www.bunnings.com.au/200mm-chinese-star-jasmine-trachelospermum-jasminoides_p3640739?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Marina1 

The 140mm Star jasmine plant can grow past the 2-meter mark as long as it has enough frame to climb on. Purchasing the 200mm version will give you a better start as it is a bit more mature. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects