Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is this PVC pipe in my backyard used for?

Shareef790
Finding My Feet

What is this PVC pipe in my backyard used for?

I found a PVC pipe with an inlet in the backyard of my garden.  I was removing the stumps and accidently this pipe is bit broken as shown in the picture.  Can you please assist me on:  1. What is this pipe used for?  and 2. How to fix this broken parts?

Thanks 

Regards Broken PVC pipeBroken PVC pipeInlet of this PVC pipeInlet of this PVC pipe

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is this PVC pipe in my backyard used for?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Shareef790. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question pipework.

I'd would either be a pipe leading to your storm water or sewage, but it's more likely stormwater. I'm not entirely sure as to its purpose, but the upright section is an inspection outlet for cleaning it out. It's a bit of an odd installation. To identify its use and determine whether it can be removed or needs to be repaired, you'd need to enlist the services of a professional. Repair will be a relatively easy task of cutting out the damaged section and inserting a new portion with slip couplings.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchelleMc

Thanks for your prompt response.  Could you please suggest a DIY video specific to this coupling installation?  Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Shareef790 

Thanks for sharing your questions about the PVC pipe in your garden. I'm sorry but I currently don't have a video guide to show you. However, when you see the coupling, it will become very clear to you how it is attached. It simply slips on to the pipe and joins the two broken parts together. It will be necessary to put PVC adhesive on both sides of the broken pipe so that it will be a secure leak free repair.

Looking at the photo you posted, it appears to be a drain of sorts. But what is curious is that it is way above ground. In this instance, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber, they will be able to tell you if the pipe can be cut down or modified. Once the pipe is down, I suggest updating the look by installing a proper drain pit.

Please note that some states require a registered plumber to update or modify the storm water drains in your house. If in doubt, please consult your local building authority before before you begin.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects