Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is this fitting?

New_bie
Just Starting Out

What is this fitting?

Hi. I found a couple of these in 2 flower beds. Would anyone know what these are for? Irrigation? 

And should I be doing something with them. Markings on the fittings indicate 'close' and 'off', which doesn't make sense. Also, they are quite tight so is there a nack to turning these?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20211017-061134_Outlook.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is this?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @New_bie. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about identifying this mystery object.

They are likely isolation valves for an irrigation system that control flow to those garden beds. I haven't come across ones that look exactly like that before. If they are quite tight, they might be stiff from non-use, or there's potentially a tool that should be used to activate them. Without knowing more about the irrigation system, it would be quite hard to determine what they do. I suspect you'll only find that out once you can turn them. I'm not sure why the descriptions are "closed" and "off". As you've mentioned, that doesn't seem to make much sense.

Are you able to turn the dial at all?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks mate. We have lived here for 5 years and only just noticed these now.... we can't seem to turn either of the valves either way and don't want to break them by over forcing them, I thought if I could identify the fitting I might be able to source a specific tool . You're probably right, something for the irrigation. 

I will spray with a little Wd40 and see if that helps.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I had a reasonably thorough google search and couldn't identify the fitting, and it's not something from Bunnings, @New_bie.

It might be worth following the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I can't imagine you're going to see anything spectacular happen by operating them. I guess there's a possibility that you could reveal some unknown irrigation points if they are currently closed, which might be beneficial. Or, you might be able to isolate the garden beds if you don't want them watered.

Keep us updated as I would be keen to know what they are for.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects