Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is this weed and how do I get rid of it?

fantaseababe
Just Starting Out

What is this weed and how do I get rid of it?

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

What is this atrocious thing anyone please?! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is this weed and how do I get rid of it?

Hi @fantaseababe,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join us. 

Are you sure that's just one type of weed in your photos? It looks like there might be multiple offenders. 

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about what it is but rather concentrate on getting rid of it! First I would start with manual removal (making sure you have your personal protective equipment in case there's anything toxic or irritating to the skin) and if that is not successful move onto other measures such as boiling water or chemical approaches. There's lots of advice for dealing with weeds from experienced community members in the Best Advice article How do you control weeds in your garden? 

Let us know if you do need to identify the weed and I can tag some of our resident experts to try to identify it. It might help them to know where you are based and what the growing conditions are like. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is this weed and how do I get rid of it?

Hi @fantaseababe 

I'm in total agreement with Jason regarding what to do with the weeds in your garden. If it has grown to be this big, manual removal is advised. This will make it difficult for the weed to get established and gain a foothold in your garden. 

It might be a variety of ragweed, but it is difficult to tell as the leaves are all turned in.   

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and a long sleeve shirt when working in your garden.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects