Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What’s eating my Lily Pilly plant?

John57
Building a Reputation

What’s eating my Lily Pilly plant?

Yesterday I found my plant has been ravaged! Is it snails, caterpillars please let me know how can I save it?

537AD143-CE43-48AE-8174-BF460F2965C4.jpeg

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: What’s eating my plant?!

Hi @John57 

I can see why that would concern you. Looks like one of the larger beetles or caterpillar damage to me. Snails are not good climbers and will typically only eat softer foliage. Hard to know exactly what it is without knowing exactly what plant it is and where you are located. 

Can I suggest you closely inspect  the foliage and see if there are any caterpillars on it (check the underside as well). 

Bunnings do sell a number of caterpillar insecticides and also some insecticides for killing beetles so best to know which you have before making a recommendation.  (I work for Bunnings) 

Also consider - is the damage severe enough that it is going to kill the plant or damage it to the point that it's not acceptable. 

Good luck. 

John57
Building a Reputation

G’day Rob

We’re in Mernda Victoria and the plant is a Lily Pilly.

It seems to be only this tree it’s partner a few meters away is doing fine.

We have lavender that attracts white cabbage butterflies but I don’t think they’re the problem. It’s too hardy a plant for them.

Ill do some further inspection to see what I can find.

Thanks 

John

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @John57

Thank you for sharing your question about what insects are eating your plant. It's great that @robchin has given you some possible leads on what to look for. I'm in total agreement with his recommendation. There must be some evidence of the insect that feasted on the leaves of your Lily Pilly. Looking at the half-moon shapes of the eating pattern, I suspect it is a variety of caterpillar that loves to consume Lily Pilly. However, I suggest looking at your other plants to make sure that they have not been attacked as well.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to hearing what you've found in the garden.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @John57 

Given that it is a Lily Pilly - I would be confident that it is a Calypso Beetle that is causing the damage. Good luck. 

Organic Control of the Lilly Pilly Beetle - Eco Organic Garden

John57
Building a Reputation

Looks spot on Rob… I’ll share this with my wife and we’ll develop a plan!

John57
Building a Reputation

Yes @robchin

I sprayed with white oil pyrethrum and a few small green bugs jumped off. So that seems to have worked. I’ve sprayed again this weekend to make sure we’ve got rid of them.

Thanks again for your advice.

John

John57
Building a Reputation

  thanks for your reply. I’m trying eco-neem which say it’s effective for caterpillars 🐛. Let see what happens. I’ll update you. 

IMG_6253.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @alifard, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us.

It appears that you are having the same caterpillar infestation on your leaves. The leaf bite patterns look very similar. If you are using Eco-neem, please make sure to spray under the leaves as well so that you get full coverage.   

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask. Please make sure to follow all the safety guidelines recommended at the back of the packaging.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects