Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's eating my basil?

aly
Making a Splash

What's eating my basil?

I recently planted some basil seedlings in the backyard and am finding something is eating them. Any suggestions on how to avoid?

125224333_361868624883567_5965217436246000406_n.jpg125398768_3807671772646853_4792589977332422429_n.jpg125266838_380281820086786_7616612786164204175_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What's eating my basil?

Hi @aly,

I'd hazard a guess and say it's the same culprits that are eating my herbs! I believe they are Looper caterpillars. I would recommend you use Yates 40g Natures Way Caterpillar Killer Dipel Insecticide as it is an organic caterpillar control product which can be used on edibles. I've had fantastic feedback about this product and its effectiveness on a range of caterpillars.

I have to admit though that I went straight to Yates 750ml Mavrik Gun as it is what I had on hand. I generally don't recommend a chemical control as strong as Mavrik on edibles. By the time I noticed them they had destroyed every tomato I had grown and were covering all my herbs munching away. I've included a picture below of one I've just found now.

Let me mention @mich1972 to see if she would like to join the discussion.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@aly 

Grubs are very hungry right now and they love to eat our edibles ! You can use a safe Caterpillar spray called Dipel. 

Amazing, thank you both @MitchellMc and @mich1972 ! Will run out and get some Dipel this week.

I planted a heap of seeds a few months ago and nothing eventuated so decided to put in some fresh seedlings - hoping to save these!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@aly

Good luck keeping the caterpillars at bay. 

At our place we have had great success growing a range of seeds using these Jiffy Peat Pellets in windowsill greenhouses until the seedlings are big enough to plant in the garden. We've got some tomato and jalapeno seedlings that are ready to go at the moment that were grown from seed. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

That's great @Jason , i've never actually tried the pellets before. Ran out and bought some dipel last night so will see how I go with my basil - fingers crossed!

Dark
Having an Impact

If you got some 2L coke bottles iv seen a few people cut the base off and put that ontop of the plant itself. Otherwise if ya into buiding maybe look at a simple box frame with mesh? 

aly
Making a Splash

Thanks @Dark great shout with the coke bottles! I'll see if my husband is keen to build a frame with mesh and leave the bottles as a quick easy back up I can do 😅

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects