Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's wrong with my Citrus Tree?

beatriceb
Finding My Feet

What's wrong with my Citrus Tree?

Hello Team, 

We have recently moved to a property that has (what looks to me like) a Citrus Tree - guessing it's a Lemon Tree but someone may be able to say otherwise. It looks like it is being eaten by something and doesn't look very healthy. Any tips on how to revive and turn it into a healthy tree? Thank you!Lemon Tree 1.jpgLemon Tree 2.jpgLemon Tree 3.jpgLemon Tree.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What's wrong with my Citrus Tree?

Hello @beatriceb 

Thanks for sharing your question about your citrus tree. Looking at the curling and deformed leaves it appears your tree is infested with leaf miners. Leaf miners are the larvae of various beetles, flies, moths, and sawflies. The adult insects lay their eggs on the leaf and the larvae tunnel into the leaf while feeding. 

I suggest removing the infected leaves and throwing them into the bin. Don't mix them in with your compost or mulch. I recommend spraying the plant with Eco-Organic Garden 500ml Eco-Oil Concentrate. I also suggest removing the weeds at the base of the citrus tree so that it does not get smothered. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a Bear Disposable Paint Mask With Active Carbon Filter And Valve. Make sure to follow all the safety guidelines on the packaging label.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Randal
Finding My Feet

Re: What's wrong with my Citrus Tree?

Hi beatriceb

I agree with Eric's suggestion to spray for leaf miners with Eco-oil.

Your citrus is possibly a lemon, going by the thorns, and also since a lemon is Australia's favourite fruit tree it increases the probability.

Lemons / citrus are hungry, thirsty, and jealous plants who like to keep the soil to themselves.

The weeds need digging out (carefully -- fine roots are near the surface) and the area around the trunk kept clear.

Mulch well. Water deeply once a week depending on rainfall.

Good drainage is essential.

They love sun, and protection from wind.

Feed with something like Osmocote's citrus and fruit slow-release granules, in spring and summer. This may help correct the iron deficiency, hopefully, which shows as yellow leaves, though a trace element supplement may cover all bases. The goodies in the soil are being consumed by the bamboo, grass, weeds etc.

Once the trunk and branches are visible, open it up a bit by pruning, to allow air in. The long, strong vertical shoots may be watershoots and should be cut out, if there's enough normal foliage to keep the plants healthy.

Ultimately it may be a struggle to end up with the sort of healthy tree you'd like -- this is only my opinion --  mainly because the bamboo severely limits its natural growth habit. It may be an idea to pick another place in your property and start off with a citrus of your choice.

All the best! Keep us posted.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects