Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's wrong with my plant?

Queenie
Finding My Feet

What's wrong with my plant?

Bought this outdoor plant 2018. Don't know name. It was sml & grew slowly so I repotted into lge pot using Searles best soil.  It's around 1m now. Was healthy with glossy green leaves & flowered all through summer. Now leaves are pale to yellowing with black dots, feel rough & is very sparce, not thick foliage. I've tried Seasol to no avail. 

What's wrong with my plant  ????

Pls help me save it  .......

Attached photos from healthy to sick.  

IMG20191215121440.jpg

IMG20191215121826.jpg

IMG20191215121945.jpg

IMG20200420111759.jpg

IMG20200420111759.jpg

IMG20200420111759.jpg

  

IMG20200420111717.jpg

IMG20200420111630.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What's wrong with my plant?

Welcome to the Workshop community @Queenie. I'm sorry to hear about your sick plant.

Could we please know a few more details which may assist in diagnosing the illness. Have you moved the plant since it was healthy, how often have you watered it, have you fed the plant with anything other than Seasol?

Let me see if the ever-helpful @Noelle might be able to help us identify the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell for your quick reply.  Plant hasn't been moved, give a good watering, till water drains out bottom of pot, usually fortnightly but earlier as needed.  When I repotted about early last year, I used Searles best potting mix, which said it feeds, fertilisers,  &  had water crystals in it. It thrived.  So, recently I tried 1 application of Seasol,  with no results. There are still 2 long shoots that from soil up have sick leaves but at top leaves are very green,  not sick &  have a couple of flowers on them. I think it's getting enough sun. I have lge white pebbles on top of soil in pot.  I can't think of anything else. 

Cheers,  Queenie 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Queenie 

Your plant looks to be in the same position it was in the first photo when it was healthy.

A couple of things come to mind:

1.  In the last photo of the series, the prominent green of the veins with obvious yellowing of the leaves between them could indicate either a nutrient deficiency or a virus disease. It doesn't appear to have been getting enough food from the potting mix or seaweed you've added.

2.  The yellow spotting on the leaves and the roughness is less indicative of a nutrient deficiency and more likely to be caused by disease.

Lack of or too much water are not likely causes of its appearance.

Try feeding it with an all purpose liquid plant food that includes trace elements - a concentrate liquid you can dilute with water and apply.  It needs to be a fertiliser that will give it an instant hit of nutrients, not a slow release-type one.  If you don't see any improvement in overall appearance within two weeks, then it is almost certainly disease, in which case you should discard it and the potting mix before whatever it is spreads to other plants.

Thank you @Noelle ffor your very helpful advice & for a quick reply. Am off to Bunnings. 

Stay safe. 

Many thanks,  Queenie 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects