Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What’s wrong with these plants? Lilly Pilly and Cordyline

Anthony_
Getting Established

What’s wrong with these plants? Lilly Pilly and Cordyline

Hi

Just moved to a new place and hoping to get some assistance with two plants pictured.

1. Does anyone know what the black dots on the leaves of the plant pictures are? Is there something I can spray for this?

2. The leaves of the 2nd pictured are discoloured  and I can’t tell if it has been neglected and just needs some water or something more sinister I should get on before it gets worse,

0AC849AC-67C5-481D-80F5-AD1C38867D67.jpeg

C838FB81-8FE5-4355-B135-96AFAB37D5D3.jpeg

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What’s wrong with these plants?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Anthony_. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about plant care.

Your first image appears to show an infestation of black scale. You can remove them by hand in smaller numbers, but I'd suggest you spray the whole plant with Yates 750ml Ready To Use Scale Gun Insect Pest Killer.

I'm struggling to identify that second plant and could only hazard a guess at the cause of this issue. The lower growth damage could have been caused by lack of water or sun stress last Summer. Does this plant receive the full midday sun? Given the larger leaf size, I'd presume it is potentially an indoor plant/part shade plant or one that shouldn't be exposed to the direct midday sun. Let mention @mich1972, @Noelle and @Adam_W to see if they can point us in the right direction.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc  Thanks so much for your response! Great advice on that pest killer. Will get on that.

Appreciate any other feedback on the other plant. One other thing I wasn’t sure could contribute was the plant is full of these little worm looking things (see photo) - could just be part of the plant as don’t really look “alive” but thought I’d share as another potential idea?? 

thanks 

0BC92E36-8262-4264-92E3-9A94153BC6BB.png

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @Anthony_ 
As @MitchellMc said... definitely scale on those lilly pillies. A spray oil is the best treatment, personally I prefer Eco-oil as it also attract beneficial insects that will keep killing more pests.
The other plants are a type of cordyline. Damage seems restricted to the older leaves & looks like it could be sunburn. Are those lower areas getting more light than they used to?
The little wormy things are nothing to worry about. Look like fallen 'flowers' from a casuarina.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your expert advice @Adam_W

I was on the right track. I thought they might be some form of cordyline but couldn't find any via an image search that looked similar. There are just so many varieties.

Thanks for the clarification on the little wormy things. I was beginning to worry. 

Mitchell

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What’s wrong with these plants? Lilly Pilly and Cordyline

Hi @Anthony_   First photo is the dreadful black scale. Eco Oil is a really good to smother and suffocate the scale insects. 

Second photo looks like your Cordyline has possibly been burnt maybe. Not quite sure about that one. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What’s wrong with these plants? Lilly Pilly and Cordyline

Hello @Anthony_

Thank you for sharing your query about what's wrong with your Lilly Pilly and Cordyline plants.

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @mich1972. I totally agree with the recommendation of using the Eco-Organic Garden 750ml Ready To Use Eco-Oil. It is safe to use on ornamentals and is made from 100% botanical oil. However, your Cordyline seems to be suffering from brown leaf tips which is an indication of the roots not getting enough water. I suggest tilling the top part of the soil to loosen it up to allow the water to penetrate deeper into the soil and reach the roots. Having a regular watering schedule will keep your plant healthy. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects