Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What sealer to use on Northcote planters - Terazzo Pricelite range?

PeterFoley
Getting Established

What sealer to use on Northcote planters - Terazzo Pricelite range?

Northcote Planters (eg Terrazzo Pricelite range) recommend sealing with appropriate sealer before use. However hey can't advise what is an appropriate sealer - WTF? Speak to Bunnings.

Ditto with best method to drill extra hole.

Rather mot drag myself way back over to Bunnings store. Any suggeststions here?

Thanks

Peter FoleyLabel instructionLabel instruction

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Northcote planters - Terazzo Pricelite range -

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PeterFoley.

Any pot and ornament seller is suitable for that trough. I'd recommend the Bondall 750ml Pot And Ornament Sealer, which can be used on the inside or both the inside and outside.

As this is a manufactured "stone", there is no real recommended way to drill through it. I'd suggest that you'll likely have the best success with a Kango 12 x 150mm Multi-Max Multi Material Drill Bit in a drill on non-hammer mode. There's also a chance you'll hit the iron reinforcement mesh, but drillbit should go through it. The supplier doesn't recommend drilling holes in their pots as they can't guarantee that they won't crack.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for a quick response Mitchell.

These are apparently "a unique combination of fibre cement, iron and a water based paint".

Iron? Anyway... Hardieflex (etc) is fibre cement could this be a test material albeit much thinner? Or other suggestion?

Doesn't present as stone-like.

Perhaps a hole-saw. Idea is to make a simple water feature.

Sorry to be difficult.

rgds Peter

@PeterFoley,

Although I'm not privy to how these pots are manufactured, I believe the iron they refer to is the iron reinforcement mesh commonly used in manufactured stone products. Hardiflex would be considerably softer than these pots. The material is more similar to compressed fibro flooring.

A reasonable quality hole saw would likely do the job. Can you see or feel a substantial amount of fibreglass on the inside of the pot? From my experience, these types of constituted "stones" often have a high proportion of fibreglass. If so, the hole saw would be a good choice.

I recommended the multi-purpose drill bit as it is suitable for various materials like stone, metal, plastic, concrete, brick, and wood.

Mitchell

Mmmm not sure how it is marked 'Not the most helpful'  - did I do that? Sorry not experienced at this.

On the contrary, Thanks for your help Mitchell.

Yes there is a significant fibre showing where the provided drain holes have been drilled. I will speak to my neighbour (plumber) about how he cust holes in compressed fibro.

Much appreciated

Peter Foley

All good @PeterFoley.

Once you hit the "Most Helpful" button, it changes into "Not the Most Helpful" to ensure you can undo your action if you need to. I'm sure Mitch appreciates the feedback.

Let us know if you need any further assistance. We are here to help.

Jason

PeterFoley
Getting Established

Sorry Guys,

Recommended sealer fine print says 'not suitable for waterproofing water holding vessel...'.

Do I need to go to a mastic type product?

Thanks

Peter F

from label Pot Sealerfrom label Pot Sealer

Hi @PeterFoley,

That pot and ornament sealer is suitable for sealing the pot so the moisture from the soil doesn't discolour it. In your case, you want to make a water feature, so you'd coat the inside with a pond sealer. This is a much thicker membrane-type product.

Sorry, it didn't actually register when you mentioned that the idea was to make a water feature. Had it, I would have recommended the pond sealer previously.

Mitchell

OK, sorry about that.

Thanks

Rgds

Peter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects