Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What size tubing to use for home irrigation?

SamTee
Finding My Feet

What size tubing to use for home irrigation?

For my home irrigation system, using drippers what size of tubing is sufficient 13mm or 4mm tubing?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What size tubing to use for home irrigation?

Hello @SamTee 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about what tube size to use for your home irrigation system.

I recommend using the 13mm pipe size. It is the most common size used in irrigation systems. It offers you flexibility and allows you to go smaller or bigger without adding too many pieces. I find that irrigation systems are in a state of constant change. As time moves forward, so do the number of plants we possess. By adding more plants, we, therefore, add more pipes to our irrigation system.  

The 13mm pipe has more tolerance for dirt and debris in the line versus a 4mm pipe that could get clogged up if a sufficient amount of dirt got in the line. You can directly install accessories on a 13mm pipe. Common fittings sich as elbows, joiners, and drippers are made to fit in a 13mm pipe. If you need to use a smaller pipe, I suggest using it sparingly and only if it is necessary.

Here are some handy guides:

I suggest drawing your proposed pipe layout. This will help you determine the pipe length that you will need, plus the number of joiners, connectors, and elbows you will be using. My number one tip for your entire assembly is to install a Holman 13mm Pressure Reducer And Filter Assembly. This sounds like an excellent project for spring. Any updates you can provide while building your system would be much appreciated.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your irrigation system up and running.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Hello,

I hope you don't mind if I join this discussion. I have an irrigation system comprising of 13mm supply lines and 4mm drip emitters for my large garden pots.

The problem I am having is the junction between the 13mm pipe and the 4mm pipe I am using to feed the emitters. While I haven't measured, I am quite certain more water is spraying out of the 13mm to 4mm junction that actually getting into the pot. The junction is highlighted in the attached photo.

My original idea was to use 6mm dripscape mini in the pots but I was unable to obtain a 6mm feeder hose to connect them to the 13mm main line.

So my question is... is there a way or a trick to making these junctions less prone to spraying and leaking? Do people apply a sealing compound for example? 

image.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @steveof2620

It's perfectly ok to jump right into the discussion. Thank you for sharing your question about your 4mm drip emitters. The number one enemy of irrigation tubing is age and sun damage. Although the tubes are UV stabilized, time combined with intense sunlight eventually makes them brittle. If your emitters have reached that stage where more water is coming out of the joint than the pipe, then it's time to change locations.

I suggest using Pope 4mm Sealing Plug And Punch Spanner. Remove your Pope 4mm Threaded / Barbed Adaptor by unscrewing it anti-clockwise. Don't pull the barb out or it will ruin the threaded end, and you won't be able to use it again. Use the Sealing Plug in combination with electrical tape to make sure that the plug does not leak. The secret to getting a good connection is to use the proper tool such as the Punch Spanner and not a knife or nail. Once you've established a hole in the irrigation pipe, gently push the tip of the 4mm barbed adaptor and then slowly screw it in clockwise. Let the threaded portion grip the sidewall of the irrigation pipe. Once it is nice and tight do not over tighten or it will leak. Using a push force motion will not give you an even tight fit.

Sometimes no matter how careful you are, you will get a water leak. It could be an indicator that your 13mm irrigation pipe is breaking down and it's time to replace it. However, you can also carry out a partial replacement, if only a portion of the irrigation set has deteriorated. I recommend carrying out an inspection of the entire irrigation line in your garden. You can then make a list of repairs and upgrades that you can apply to your existing system.

Please keep us updated with your repairs, we look forward to seeing your emitters working perfectly.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the tips. The 13mm / 4 mm fittings aren't that old, perhaps in the region of six months or so.

I wonder if I am using the right connector to tap into the 13mm line. You mention a threaded adaptor, while I have been using the 'Poly Irrigation Barbed Pope 4mm Joiner T/off' or something similar. Looking at the treaded adapter you mentioned tells me "The threaded end screws into the rigid riser". But I am not using a rigid riser, I am using 4mm irrigation drip tube risers. I have also been using a purpose tool to punch the polly pipe. I am wondering if I have been using the right connector, however the connector I am using says "Joins 4mm poly tube to larger poly tube sizes" and has "Barbed fittings provide a tight fit", but the fit I have is anything but tight.

31d2d673-1729-479e-a91b-bbb576bd71d2.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @steveof2620

Thank you for getting back to me with that update. The Poly Irrigation Barbed Pope 4mm Joiner T/off does work with the 13mm irrigation pipe. However, you will notice that the Pope 4mm Threaded / Barbed Adaptor has a threaded end to grip the sidewalls of the irrigation hose. This will give you a much better seal than just using a barbed end fitting. Just to be clear the Pope 4mm Threaded / Barbed Adaptor will not work on a stiff walled riser pipe. 

I suggest giving the Pope 4mm Threaded / Barbed Adaptor a go. I think this fitting will give you a good positive seal. Please remember to make new holes for the new fittings. Do not reuse the old holes in the hose.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we would be keen to know if the new fittings give you better service.

Eric

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Great, that is the advice I was looking for. I will give these a go for sure. Thanks for the advice.

It's great to see @EricL has provided helpful advice @steveof2620. Please let us know if you have further questions. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects