Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do about black leaves on tomato plant?

barbs01
Cultivating a Following

What to do about black leaves on tomato plant?

IMG20211112105608.jpg

Black leaf edges developing on my Tomato plants recently. Any help on what it may be and how I can rectify it please. Thanks very much 🙂

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to do about black leaves on tomato plant?

HI @barbs01

Thank you for sharing your question about what to do when you have black leaves on your tomato plant.

The black leaves are caused by a disease such as late blight, bacterial speck, or bacterial canker. A common disease also is septoria leaf spot leading to tomato leaves turning black. Observe the overall plant structure, are there any insects or aphids. These insects carry the infection and spread the disease as they move from plant to plant.

If there are insects, I suggest using Yates 500g Tomato and Vegetable Dust. Be sure to dust under the leaves as well. However, if there are no insects on your tomato plant, I recommend Yates 200ml Liquid Copper Fungicide. Please be aware that this is a concentrate and must be diluted. I suggest using Nylex 1.5L Heavy Duty Garden Sprayer for ease of application. Again, please make sure to spray under the leaves.

When handling the chemicals, please make sure to use personal protective equipment such as Bear Disposable P2 Respirator Dust Mask With Valve - 3 Pack in conjunction with Ansell Workmates Disposable Gloves - 36 Pack. Remove the infected leaves and do not mix them with your compost, throw them directly into the bin. If your tomato's shows signs of infection please do not consume them.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W, @Noelle, and @robchin for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Great advice from Eric, @barbs01 

barbs01
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much for that great advice Eric, I will try that out and see if it helps. 🙂

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @barbs01, and reach out if you see no improvement. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
barbs01
Cultivating a Following

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Tomato Dust did the trick to get rid of the black leaves on the Tomato plants, so thanks again Eric and team.👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects