Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to spray on Peach and Orange trees?

Charley1
Getting Established

What to spray on Peach and Orange trees?

I have 2 small peach trees and 1 small orange tree. Do I need to spray them all with lime sulphur for leaf curl and anti rot. When should I spray them. Thanks

Fruit treesFruit treesAC265E97-322C-46DD-BAC2-432226CEE58F.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What to spray on Peach and Orange trees?

Hi @Charley1,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful you have joined and thank you for asking about keeping your peach and orange trees healthy. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist, but let me also tag our garden members @Noelle@LisasGarden, and @mich1972 to check what they would suggest. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @Charley1  Great question. With your Peach trees and any other deciduous fruit trees like apples, plums, pears ect. It is best to spray a fungicide on them at the end of winter, start of spring as soon as you see the “bud burst” the leaves just starting to form. If you wait once the leaves are fully open or any other time, it’s too late. Lime Sulphur is excellent to spray in the winter months and will help protect against fungal infections. Copper Oxychloride ( leaf curl spray ) from Yates is another good fungicide. 

With your Citrus, if you can see any insect damage then you will need to spray as needed. Depending on what the problem is. 

I hope this is helpful . Good luck. Your plants are looking ok from what I can see. 
when you get time, could you possibly send a couple of photos that are taken in the day light and a bit closer. Thank you 😊 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@Noelle i know will definitely give you great advice 😊

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Charley1 

@mich1972 has given you great advice for keeping fungal diseases under control on your deciduous peach trees. The timing of sprays is really important.  In addition to the recommended spray at bud burst, I would add in a spray in autumn immediately after the leaves have fallen, to try to eradicate any fungal spores that may be present on twigs/branches as they can over-winter in bud scales and rough bark. Make sure you collect all fallen leaves and dispose of them in the rubbish bin, in case they have spores on them too.

The citrus tree should pretty much be left alone unless you spot obvious problems such as leaf miners, scale or sooty mould, in which case a spray with a horticultural oil and insecticide would be appropriate.

Charley1
Getting Established

Thanks heaps. Do I need to spray with Yates anti rot as well as lime sulphur ? Or does lime sulphur do the trick. 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you @Noelle 😊 🥰

Charley1
Getting Established

Do I have to spray anti rot to my trees as well as lime sulphur ?

I have attached photos of my 3 trees. I intend to put them all into the ground during winter.

2 peach trees and 1 orange tree. They are not dwarf, but I intend to keep them small, about 5 feet high. Thanks.PeachPeach034CFDD3-51BD-49E7-96FC-EAF97F75E033.jpegOrangeOrange

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Charley1 

Just to make sure that there is no confusion with the terms, anti-rot is fungicide spray. The term bud burst is the process of buds (very young leaves in small bud form) emerging from their winter dormancy, ready to bloom for the new season. 

My only other recommendation if you are planning to transplant the peach and orange trees is to test the pH level of the soil with a Soil pH test kit

Here are some handy guides to help you before transplanting:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Charley1
Getting Established

Do I need to add a wetting agent to Yates success ultra?

Do I need to add a wetting agent to Yates success ultra when spraying my peach and orange trees for insects. If so, what should I use. Can I use a mixture of household detergent and sunflower oil for incests as well. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects