Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of lawn grubs are these in July in Brisbane?

RobynC
Finding My Feet

What type of lawn grubs are these in July in Brisbane?

IMG_20220709_151159_055.jpgIMG_20220709_151315_544.jpg

In the last few days dozens of holes have appeared in the lawn. The weather has been quite cool for Brisbane eg single figures C overnight and the holes are only in the back yard which is quite shaded. A few of the holes have a dead grub near them. I'm wondering if these are collateral damage from adults emerging from the ground. The holes are bigger than anything I've seen in the yard before. Bigger than anything my parents have ever seen in 85 years! We get plenty of Christmas beetles hatching in Summer but these holes are much bigger. Whatever emerges even rips up the lawn to get out. Any ideas?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of lawn grubs are these in July in Brisbane?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RobynC. It's wonderful to have you join us and many thanks for your question about these holes in your lawn.

You could be correct that the curl grub is just collateral damage from whatever emerged from the hole. It's quite a large hole, something akin to what a cicada would produce, but it's too early for that. How deep are the holes? If they are only 10cm or so I'd suspect some animal trying to eat the curl grubs. Would bandicoots be out of the question?

You might like to read through these previous discussions:

I'm keen to hear how deep these holes are. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

poopF6945.JPG

The holes are all less than 10cm deep. There is this suspicious looking lump of droppings too. I've never seen a bandicoot here but google tells me they are found in Brisbane. This is just suburbia but we have a possum living in the garden, get plenty of birds, the occasional carpet snake and have had the odd koala walk up the street over the years, so why not a bandicoot?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A hole 10cm deep gives me the impression that it's from an animal searching for food as opposed to something that has dug itself out from the ground. 

I'm no scat expert, but I believe bandicoot droppings appear drier than those.

Mitchell

LOL Now you've had me scat hunting. I think these two pictures might show bandicoot poo. So I guess the other is from a different critter that was out there last night.scat_1932.JPGscat_1928.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Now, this is getting interesting @RobynC! That top image is more what I'd expect from bandicoot scat. Drier-looking and not so uniform. Got a torch? It might be worth setting up a little midnight stakeout! 

Mitchell

Yes I'll try some torch spotting tonight. 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects