Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What weed is this and how to remove it?

MikeC
Finding My Feet

What weed is this and how to remove it?

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know what kind of weed this is that has taken over the lawn?

I have looked online and was thinking it may potentially be Dallisgrass or Crowngrass?

I have previously used Weed n Feed which has removed the clover & white clover type weeds but isn't doing anything to this weed.

What is the best product to remove it?

Thanks

MikeC

IMG_7214[1].JPGIMG_7215[1].JPGIMG_7216[1].JPGIMG_7217[1].JPGIMG_7218[1].JPGIMG_7219[1].JPGIMG_7220[1].JPGIMG_7221[1].JPGIMG_7222[1].JPGIMG_7223[1].JPGIMG_7224[1].JPG

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What weed is this and how to remove it?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MikeC. It's a pleasure having you join us and we hope you find our site a handy resource for all your home improvement and garden projects.

Thanks for your question. Let me tag our garden experts @Noelle and @mich1972 for their thoughts. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be back online later today to assist. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @MikeC 

Lawn weeder/feeder products are designed to kill broadleaf weeds (cl9overs, dandelions, bindii etc) in lawns but they will not look at other grasses in lawns.

This image looks like paspalum from the seed heads, so you will need to treat all patches with a paspalum killer - make sure you check to see the [product you choose can be used on all lawn types, especially if you lawn is a buffalo variety.

Noelle_0-1702504094682.jpeg

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon @MikeC  Have to agree with @Noelle , growing very quickly ! Definitely treat with a Crab Grass Killer and go exactly to the instructions. Don’t spray during the heat of the day and make sure to wear the appropriate clothing and protective gear. 
I personally find, regularly mowing our lawn will help the weeds to stop setting flowers and seeds, it will interrupt the lifecycle. Good luck with that 😃🪴

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MikeC 

My apologies for the late reply. I agree with @mich1972 and @Noelle's recommendation. Just to add to the suggestions made, I propose doing a very low cut on your lawn. This will either disguise some of the weeds in the area or reveal their location. You can then manually remove the weeds that are standing out. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MikeC
Finding My Feet

Hi @mich1972 , @Noelle , @EricL,

Thank you for your assistance so far. I have applied a paspalum killer to the lawn and given it a mow. As you can see from the pictures there is very little grass left as there was so much weed. There is still quite a bit of weed to remove but what should I now do to replenish the lawn and what products do I need? I'm not sure what grass type this is so I have also attached some pics of another section of the lawn that is still growing.

Thanks

.IMG_7226[1].JPGIMG_7231[1].JPG

IMG_7228[1].jpg

IMG_7229[1].jpg

IMG_7227[1].jpg

IMG_7230[1].JPG

IMG_7236[1].jpg

IMG_7232[1].jpg

IMG_7234[1].jpg

IMG_7233[1].JPG

IMG_7235[1].jpg

IMG_7239[1].JPG

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@MikeC  It takes time. Crab Grass is nasty. You’ve done the right thing by treating it. Keep up with the mowing to stop it going to flower and setting seeds. Give your lawn a gentle feeding with a lawn fertiliser, something like Baileys 311 is good 😊 Edit - Not sure if this is available outside of WA. 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Mid summer isn't the best time to rejuvenate a lawn, unfortunately! I'd do as @mich1972 suggests and keep up the water and regular mowing and perhaps a hose-on liquid fertiliser to give the grass a bit of a boost.  Then, in autumn, topdress, oversow (depending on what type of grass you have) and fertilise with a slow release lawn food. If you can just keep what grass there is alive over the peak of summer, you will get a good head start when the weather cools a bit in autumn.

There's lots of good info on lawncare on both Bunnings website in the DIY guides as well as here on Workshop.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MikeC,

I thought I'd add to the excellent advice you've already received with this helpful guide on How to take care of your lawn.

Mitchell

Hi @MikeC 

Theres an old gardeners saying  one year of weed  going to seed is 7 years of weeding.  So be prepared  for several  weed rematches.

I just hit bindi crop for the 3rd time this years same spot.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects