Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

When to fertilize a new lemon tree?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

When to fertilize a new lemon tree?

Hi DIY-er's

I've never had a citrus plant before, but know they need good TLC ... this is my baby  Dwarf Lemon Meyer which is only about half a metre in height. 🌞  The potting mix is PineGro Tomato & Vegetable mix, which my local Bunnings store has run out of! 😱  The plant has been loving it so far!  I was told that citrus need extra fertilizer, so would like to know when am I meant to put some on? 

Also, am I meant to thin out the buds as with fully grown citrus?  If so, what buds to I snip off?

Thanks!

Cheers 🤗

BTW ... to any DIY-ers in the Perth district, good luck with the scorching heat and the fires! 🤞  Sydney-siders are with you in spirit 🙂

20231125_132401.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lemon tree care

HI @Tyro,

Typically, it would be best to plant into a potting mix designed for citrus, like Scotts Osmocote 25L Citrus And Fruit Premium Potting Mix. The plant might grow perfectly fine in the current mix, though. For feeding, I'd recommend using Scotts Osmocote 500g Citrus and Fruit Controlled Release Fertiliser. You can also use Powerfeed for an organic boost.

At this point in time I wouldn't be looking at snipping any buds and just allow the plant to naturally grow and put on size.

Here are some helpful guides:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks once again @MitchellMc !

The horticulturalist at Bunnings said this soil would be fine 😶 It's a 50L pot, so I hope so!  I dread the idea of having to repot it!

Your recommendations for fertilizer are very welcome indeed!  Looks like another BBQ sausage sandwich is on the lunch menu for tomorrow!  Is now the time to fertilize - even though it's a young plant?

Cheers🤗

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm sure the current soil will be fine, @Tyro!

Now would be a perfect time to fertilise. The Osmocote fertiliser is slowly released to feed through the warmer months.

Now you've got me wanting a sausage sandwich!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon @Tyro 😃 @MitchellMc  has given you great advice !! Yep, the heatwave is still upon us here. 

Thank you for the reassurance @MitchellMc!  I'll get onto the fertilising next weekend! 

And the sausage sandwich was so yummy I was tempted to go back for a second one! 😂

Cheers 🤗

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Yes, @MitchellMc is always right on the money with his helpful advice and kind provision of useful links!

Good luck @mich1972 

I hope your house and garden survive intact! 🤞 

It'll be a good test for the mulch! 😉

Cheers 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects