Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which azalea is suitable for Adelaide's climate?

JohnHenderson
Finding My Feet

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which azalea is suitable for Adelaide's climate

Hello @JohnHenderson

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about Azaleas.

The azaleas grow well in most areas of Australia, from Brisbane to Perth and the south. There are plenty of varieties and most of them are very beautiful and highly desirable. While some varieties do well when grown in pots, others expire when transplanted into the garden. Some of the best growing varieties of azaleas include Alba Magna, Alphonse Anderson, Magnifica, Schryderii, and Splendens.

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle, @BradN and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Which azalea is suitable for Adelaide's climate?

Hi @JohnHenderson 

While Adelaide's climate may suit azaleas, especially those that do well in full sun, from my experience you will most probably need to grow them in pots and tubs of premium quality azalea and gardenia potting mix because they are acid-lovers and most of Adelaide's soils are alkaline.

Azaleas, rhododendrons, gardenias, magnolias, etc all need a soil pH around 5 whereas much of SA's limestone soils are 7 or higher.

Re: Which azalea is suitable for Adelaide's climate?

Thanks Noelle

Thanks Eric,

Are any of the varieties that you mentioned available at the Bunnings Prospect SA store?

JH

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JohnHenderson

I've just been in contact with the stores around the area such as Mile End and Prospect. I'm afraid they don't have any in stock at the moment and only have gardenias present. I suggest giving them a call on Fridays before the weekend to see if any plant deliveries have been made to the store.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects