Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which cement to use and what ratio to mix for making pots

ppp
Having an Impact

Which cement to use and what ratio to mix for making pots

Hi,  Can anyone please guide me which cement to buy and what ratio to mix ( with water or any other substance ? ) for making pots for flower plants.  Also any suggestions before experimenting with cement projects. 

For example one from this YouTube :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFUuKo2uBsc

royq
Having an Impact

Re: Which cement to use and what ratio to mix for making pots

Hi @ppp,
Any sand and cement mix will work well, just add enough water to get the consistency you need to work it how you want to. You could use a concrete mix (cement, sand and gravel) and the finished product will be stronger (the gravel acts like reinforcement, similar idea to glass fibres in fibreglass), but I think you will have trouble working the gravel into your mold.
My two main tips for molding concrete would be to keep it off your hands as it will dry out your skin, and vibrate the mold a lot to work the bubbles out or you'll have pockets in the finished product. Other than that, have fun!
Roy
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Longtime Workshop member @hannah might also have some tips for you @ppp as her D.I.Y. concrete vases have been very popular with members - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/D-I-Y-concrete-vase/m-p/1235#M246

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ppp
Having an Impact

Thank you both.
Would like to give a try and come back with pics :smile:
Mandilee
Getting Established

Do you have to add sand to the mixture 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mandilee,

Cement by itself tends to crack, and we add sand or aggregate as it provides additional binding strength. I have had great success with using a 50:50 mix of quick-set mortar and general-purpose cement.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects