Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which fruit tree is this?

Raju
Growing in Experience

Which fruit tree is this?

I planted this fruit tree long back in my garden but I don't remember what it is. What fruit tree is this?

Nitus_Fruit_Tree_Next_To_Avacado.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can we identify a Fruit Tree from the branch & leaves?

Hi @Raju,

See if any of these similar leafed fruiting trees jog your memory. Crab apple, Chinese bush cherry, Flowering quince, Black/Red chokeberry. If they don't, perhaps you'll need to wait until it fruits. That should make for a nice surprise.

Let me tag our knowledgeable members @Noelle, @Adam_W and @BradN to see if they have any ideas. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: Which fruit tree is this?

Hi @Raju 

Long shot given the information - could it be a Strawberry Tree - Arbutus unedo? 

If it is - the fruits aren't very nice. From memory the species name (unedo) means something like 'I eat one' - which is probably a reason it isn't very popular. 

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Raju , hi @MitchellMc 

I popped your photo into PlantNet ( identify.plantnet.org ) and it suggested a plum, a quince or a blackthorn. Does any of those sound possible?

Cheers,

Brad

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BradN

I got the same results in my search. I'm wondering if an application of potash will stimulate it to grow flowers. Once we see its blooms we should have a better chance of identifying it. The plant looks semi-mature what do you reckon? Or will potash harm such a young plant?

Eric

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @EricL . I'm afraid I don't know enough to venture an opinion! Perhaps Noelle, Adam or another knowledgeable member could advise...

Cheers,

Brad

Raju
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric. It was more than three years back. I remember trying Apricot, Nectarine & Peach seeds. Out of which I got Two Nectarine and One Peach Seedlings, which are already growing. This  tree has come up late compared to it's peers Hence, I was especting it to be Apricot. I am not able to assess clearly.

Warm regards

Raju  

Raju
Growing in Experience

Re: Can we identify a Fruit Tree from the branch & leaves?

Thanks Mitchell,

It was more than three years back. I remember trying Apricot, Nectarine & Peach seeds. Out of which I got Two Nectarine and One Peach Seedlings, which are already growing. This  tree has come up late compared to it's peers Hence, I was especting it to be Apricot. I am not able to assess clearly.

Warm regards

Raju  

Raju
Growing in Experience

Thanks Robchin,

It was more than three years back. I remember trying Apricot, Nectarine & Peach seeds. Out of which I got Two Nectarine and One Peach Seedlings, which are already growing. This  tree has come up late compared to it's peers Hence, I was especting it to be Apricot. I am not able to assess clearly.

Warm regards

Raju  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Raju

I suggest waiting for your fruit tree to grow a little bit further. Should it flower in spring, I recommend taking several photos and posting them here in the discussion. We should have a better chance of identifying the flower of the tree once it is in full bloom.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects