Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which soil to use for growing potatoes?

SusieM
Getting Established

Which soil to use for growing potatoes?

Hi

ihave a 450 high raised garden bed that I want to fill with soil to plant potatoes and other vegetables. What combination of soils from the Bunnings bagged range do you recommend to enable an affordable result. I need a total of 33 litres. 
Susie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Growing potatoes

Hi @SusieM,

Could you please double-check that litre requirement for me? It seems exceptionally low; perhaps it was 330 litres? 

For larger beds, I typically like to fill the lower section with a budget-friendly mix like Garden Basics 25L Garden Soil Mix. To improve the mix, I'll use a three-part soil mix to one-part blended cow manure. For the top section, where the plant roots are established, I'll switch to a quality mix like Scotts Osmocote 50L Premium Potting Mix and mix in some cow manure.

We also have an excellent article on How to fill a raised garden bed which you might like to read through.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SusieM
Getting Established

Thanks Mitch that’s exactly the information I was hoping for. You are very right I meant 33 x 25 L = 825 Litres. 
Much appreciated 

Susie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm glad that assisted @SusieM.

For that sort of quantity, you might like to consider a bulk mix delivery of 1m3.

Mitchell

SusieM
Getting Established

Is the bulk mix delivered in bags or tipped from a truck? I don’t have a wheelbarrow and I’m getting on in age so trying to minimise shovelling and carting. Although I’ve decided to buy an 80L poly tray wheelbarrow to move the bags. Which bulk mix would you recommend? There are two beds each are 1.2x1.0x0.45. 
Susie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The ANL 1m³ NSW Vegetable And Seedling Mix - Bulk Bag looks about right @SusieM. The bulk delivery will come in one large bag.

I recently filled a similar-sized bed and opted to go with 25l bags. Although more expensive to do it that way, it was more convenient for me. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects