Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Who can supply and plant Italian Pencil pines for screening?

Newbie75
Just Starting Out

Who can supply and plant Italian Pencil pines for screening?

I want Italian Pencil pines installed in front yard for screening,pretty much new to this and not sure who to contact for consult ,supply and install,seen lot of websites,there are landscapists,arborist etc etc ,so confusing mostly about removal,lopping but nothing about who can supply and install ,May be a silly question but I am sort of stuck.Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Italian Pencil pines for screening

Hello @Newbie75 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about Italian pencil pines.

Italian Pencil Pines can be planted 1 meter apart if you want it to serve as screening or 1.5 to 2 meters apart for a more spaced-out effect. 

Choose a sunny location with no competition from nearby trees. Use well-drained loam; improve poor soils with compost. Aim for slightly acidic soil (pH 5.5–6). Add a six-month controlled-release fertilizer to the planting hole, ensuring it doesn't directly touch the roots. 

Maintain the planting depth or go slightly higher. Backfill around the roots, firming the soil without compacting it. Water the newly planted tree with a seaweed solution to minimize transplant trauma. This ensures optimal growth and establishment.

These trees are named conifers because they typically produce cones or cone-like fruits, although some deviate from this norm and bear berries. The seed-bearing (female) cones are often large and woody, with the traditional pinecone serving as a prime example.

Exercise caution when planting larger conifers near paths, driveways, and underground services, as their roots have the potential to cause damage.

However, if you want a trades person to plant these trees for you, I suggest posting the job on Hipages or Airtasker. Make sure to put in as much detail as possible so that you get a response straight away.

I also suggest having a look at this guide: How to grow and care for conifers

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects