Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Whole lawn is weed

Highlighted
Occasional Browser

Whole lawn is weed

   

Gday all,

just moved into this property (rental) and the lawn  is all weed. I’m wondering what I could do to possibly fix this? Would weed and feed work? Should I aerate it also? Or is this a case of starting fresh? It just recently rained that’s why it’s muddy. 

This is in sort of a new development area and most of the houses around here have lawns like this. 

3EEDBF58-D402-4155-9857-D8C99F23126C.jpeg

50B2F65A-B996-4910-9A6A-B826FEE8B9E3.jpeg

6032B224-091B-46FE-A8FF-35CBA258A7FF.jpeg

Highlighted
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Whole lawn is weed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @onthejob. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Personally, I would start with a clean slate and apply a weed killer to the area removing all the weeds present. I would follow that up by aerating the lawn and filling those holes with Bastion 20kg River Sand. This will allow a route for water to drain through as the ground appears rather compacted which is possible due to standing water in the area. Once you have completed the aeration I would apply Hortico 25 Lawn Top-dress Mix and then re-seed or lay turf.

Here's a couple of helpful step-by-step videos on How to grow lawn from seed and How to lay instant turf which I trust you'll find of assistance in this process. 

Let me also mention the knowledgeable @Adam_W to see if there is anything I've missed or that he would vary from my approach.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

View solution in original post

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects