Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why do my jade plants leaves have roots growing from them?

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

Why do my jade plants leaves have roots growing from them?

16269278537267218457950872769951.jpg

16269278824793362660577519963859.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: why do my jade plants leaves have roots growing from them ?

Hi @yumnaqazi,

Your jade plant looks lovely in this basket. Let me tag @Noelle who may be able to offer advice.

You can also find helpful tips for growing a healthy jade plant in this guide: How To Grow, Care For And Propagate Jade Plants.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Why do my jade plants leaves have roots growing from them?

Hi @yumnaqazi 

It is not at all unusual for jade plants and other succulents to produce roots from stem joints or nodes, as that's how they grow and spread in their natural environment to form large clumps or groups of plants. They don't always do this when grown in pots or hanging planters but will do so when conditions are right.

What this means is that you can cut off some of these sections with roots, pot them up and increase the number of plants you have, or grow them on as gifts for friends!  "Bonus" plants that didn't cost you anything.

yumnaqazi
Growing in Experience

Thankyouuu so much I can't tell you how great it feels to hear that. I feel like im always doing something wrong with my plants. 

I gave watered them as I wrote that post? Is that okay??  

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

The same watering "rules" apply to the jade plant as the aeonium - test to see if the top 5cm of soil is dry before adding more water and allow excess to drain out the bottom of the pot. Don't stand pots in saucers of water.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects