Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why doesn't water soak into my soil?

helensteibytuil
Just Starting Out

Why doesn't water soak into my soil?

HI I HAVE 3 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOU  I PURCHASE SOME SOIL  FROM BUNNINGS  IT DOES NOT SOAK INTO THE WATER.  PLEASE ADVISE.

2  BEANS SEEDS   IT WAS RECOMMEND TO SOAK THE SEEDS IN HOT WATER I FOR GOT AND PLANTED THEM  WILL THEY COME UP? 3.DAFFODILS  HAVE PLENTY OFLEAVES  BUT    NO FLOWERS.WHAT  IS WRONG?  THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.                                                                                                                                                                          

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Top 10 most popular planter box projects

Good Morning @helensteibytuil 

Firstly welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: I actually find it interesting trolling through all the different things people ask and they way things are solved!.

-With the soil could you tell us the name of the bag? I dont think Ive ever seen aquaphobic bagged soil from a bag tho certainly have had some at home.

-Bean seeds, they should still sprout tho just take a little longer to fire up. The soaking in hot water germinates them earlier (unless the specificaly need a fre hence the hot water soaking. Usually Australian natives)

-Daffodils with no flowers, when did you plant them? I am sure the flowers will come along as they are daisys :smile: They tend to be hard to stop. Ive considered daisys for my berms at home but havnt finilised on what to plant yet.

Dave

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Top 10 most popular planter box projects

Hi @helensteibytuil 

Some bagged potting mixes can sometimes be a little hydrophobic - that is, they are dry and do not want to absorb water when put into a pot and water is added.  It pools on the top and runs down the inside of the pot without wetting the mix. Two things to try:

1. Stand any affected pots in a bucket of water so the water level is just over the potting mix and leave for 30 minutes or so. If this doesn't work to "wet" the mix ......

2. Use a wetting agent like Scotts Everydrop Liquid Concentrate (mixed as instructed on the label) and watered on to the dry mix. A wetting agent is like a detergent; it allows moisture to soak into soils and potting mixes that are resistant to just water alone.

Yes, the beans should still come up, as @Dave-1 said but they may take a little longer as moisture needs to penetrate into the seeds before they will sprout.  Using hot water aids that process.

Sometimes daffodil bulbs will not flower if they have been in the soil for a couple of years or if you lifted them after last season and put them in again in autumn. I've often found they flower well in the first year, moderately well in their second year and often not at all in their third year. Be prepared to buy and plant fresh bulbs every other year for regularly good displays of flowers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects