Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why has my Sir Walter Buffalo Grass died?

smallgrass
Just Starting Out

Why has my Sir Walter Buffalo Grass died?

hi there,

i purchased a Dog Turf Loo and popped .5sqm of Sir Walter Buffalo on it like it says (with soil obviously), and a good majority (95%) of the turf has died. It has definitely been watered - is it possible to over water?

what have I done wrong? is there anything i could do to bring it back? If i have to buy the grass again, any suggestions for making it work next time?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why has my Sir Walter Buffalo Grass died?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @smallgrass. It's great to have you join us.

Sorry to read of your grass. How long have you had the turf and how much have you been watering it? Also, has the turf been in the sun? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi jason,

The grass was purchased on the 3/2 from memory, so just around 3 weeks. 

The turf has been in the sun, it lives on an uncovered rooftop.

The turf has been generously watered at least daily :smile:

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @smallgrass 

New turf is actually quite sensitive to extreme heat and sometimes have to be watered at least twice a day. Did you use garden soil and Topdress before placing the slab on top? The turf slab by itself is not enough to keep it alive.

If you still have your docket for the grass, you can claim a new one under the Bunnings Perfect Plant Promise. I suggest bringing the old one with you just in case they ask to see the dead slab. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects