Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my lemon tree growing leaves with brown patches?

nikkib
Getting Established

Why is my lemon tree growing leaves with brown patches?

IMG_1545.png

IMG_1544.jpeg

My lemon tree has new leaves that are curled up with brown patches . Any ideas what is causing this ?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Why is my lemon tree growing leaves with brown patches?

Hello @nikkib,

Thanks for your question. Let me tag our garden experts @Noelle and @mich1972 for their thoughts on your lemon tree. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to help when he's back online. 

While waiting, I recommend reading our Best Advice article How do you treat yellowing leaves on a lemon tree? in case it helps.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @nikkib 

The leaves look very chlorotic (yellow) rather than nice, healthy green, which suggests a nutrient deficiency. A quality citrus fertiliser containing nitrogen, potassium and trace elements, especially magnesium and iron, should see an improvement over a few weeks. The blotching is also symptomatic of a lack of trace elements.

The crinkling, although it is a little hard to diagnose accurately from your photos, could be due to citrus leafminer, a common insect pest that lays its eggs within the leaf tissue and the larvae burrow in the leaf, leaving tell-tale tracks and crinkling. PestOil, applied as per the instructions on the label and following any personal safety directions, should aid in controlling this pest before it becomes too severe.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nikkib,

It's wonderful to see that @Noelle, one of our resident horticulturalists, has answered your question. If you're looking for a fertiliser to help deal with these deficiencies then I can recommend Scotts Osmocote 500g Citrus and Fruit Controlled Release Fertiliser.

Please keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@nikkib  I agree with @Noelle defi looks like Citrus Leafminer 😊🪴

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects