Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wire trellis for passion vine

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Wire trellis for passion vine

This was an easy to make Wire Trellis that we set up between two pillars of our undercover area. 

274518373_978361326450887_8075815417213953780_n.jpg

274298041_2389394027868391_5161780808860013007_n.jpg

We used the following:

Inspiration was taken from Bunnings How to make a wire espalier trellis tutorial. It's important to note here that I disagreed with the tutorial where it advises to use Stainless steel cleats with screws, if you look at the tutorial and what it's asking you to use, they're not the same thing, so I opted to go with the Wire Eye Straps, which were much closer to what is used in the video and images.

I didn't need to cut the treated pine as it was already cut to size. Once home with everything I had, I spray painted the 3 sides that would be visible with the Dulux Flat Black Spray Paint. Once dry, I marked out the center point of the timber and where I wanted it to be on the wall. I then evenly spaced out all the wire eye straps to go and drilled them into place. I then secured it to each wall at equal heights.

With the wire, I started from the top and worked my way down, once taught, I needed to attach a swage at one end and crimp it tight, the issue we found here was that a regular crimper was not strong enough for the job (which the tutorial advises you to get), save yourself the trouble and get a swaging tool instead, we purchased the Kincrome 350mm Swaging Tool with Wire Cutter and it did the job with ease. Once the top was done, we worked out way down, ensuring each section was tight, before attaching a swage and crimping it at the bottom. We found difficulty cutting the wire, even with the wire cutter, and ended up using a chisel and a hammer to do it, but it doesn't bother us too much. 

We purchased a large planter, 2 Passion Fruit plants, some bamboo supports and some soil, which fit perfectly in the section. This was made back in September, and the images you see were taken today, which shows the progress of the Passion Fruit Plants. The humidity has been good for it, and we found it grew better once we began using some of our "Worm Farm Pee" to help it out. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wire Trellis for passion vine

Hi @Remarka6le

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures and materials list for your wire trellis. It's great to hear that you were inspired by the How to make a wire espalier trellis. It looks fantastic and your Passion fruit plants look quite healthy. You're absolutely correct about using the worm wee. It's all-natural and packed with nutrients that are beneficial to plant life. 

Again, thank you for sharing your wire trellis project. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects