Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Would you rate this 'full shade' when looking for laying turf??

Backyardtradie
Building a Reputation

Would you rate this 'full shade' when looking for laying turf??

Hello, 

Probably I am asking the obvious, but I am finding options for laying turf and I believe my front yard is classified as 'full shade'?

It's the front yard with no cover but our double-storey house blocks the sun as you can see in the photo.

If we call it full sun, then grass option remains buffalo and we are not super keen on this grass type-purely aesthetic reasons..

Any thoughts on area type or grass type appreciated. And does this patch need drainage??

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Would you rate this 'full shade' when looking for laying turf??

Hi @Backyardtradie,

At the time of day which this picture is taken that would indeed be full shade. Does this area of the yard receive any sun at all for the rest of the day? If this was taken early morning or late afternoon, yet the rest of the day has full sun, you would classify it as a full sun location.

The properties grass next door to you seems to be doing quite well, is that buffalo? It would be a good indication of what might grow and allow us to give other suggestions apart from buffalo if you could confirm what grass that is.

Let me mention @Adam_W to see if he could give us some suggestions of what the best grass is for a shady location.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

The photo was taken at about 3pm. This area never receives direct sun-hence the grass-even growing without any cover/shade will never see much of direct sun. 

The grass-at the front is a council nature strip. Not sure what this type is-definitely not buffalo by the look of it. 

Cheers

Hi @Backyardtradie,

Most lawns need a minimum of four hours direct sun to survive and there are shade tolerant grasses that thrive in partial shade. In your circumstance, you'd be describing full shade.

Buffalo can tolerate up to 70% shade and varieties such as Couch and Kikuyu can only tolerate 40% shade cover a day. It might also be worth considering Rye as well as Fine and Tall Fescues.

I'd be having a chat with the neighbour and find out what the grass is marked in red below. It looks like it is doing exceptionally well in a similar circumstance.

Alternatively, you might like to consider our fantastic range of synthetic grasses. The technology and pile blends used now in premium varieties make for a lawn substitute that can look very realistic and with no maintenance.

Mitchell

grass.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your reply. 

Regrettably- we mark the area as full share. 

I will look into the options you suggested. The area highlighted (red block) towards the neighbour side is -synthetic grass. Not a big fan of synthetic, so I might give your suggestions a go first. 

Appreciate your help. 

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects