Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Yard over run with weeds

JMenz
Just Starting Out

Yard over run with weeds

Please help! My yard is absolutely over run with weeds. It has not been maintained for some time and we recently had a very bad bout of lawn grub, which has let the weeds run rampant!

I have been hand pulling the weeds where I can, but there are just so many and there is one particular bugger of a weed that has crept itself everywhere.

Should I continue pulling the weeds wherever I can and then use a weed killer on the larger areas?

Also, what weed killer do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Yard over run with weeds

Hi @JMenz,

Is the area you are tackling now the lawn or the entire yard? It may also help our members to give some great advice if you uploaded some images of the area and the specific weeds you need to get rid of.

For the lawn area, I would suggest spraying a selective weeder similar to Amgrow 250ml Bin-Die Selective Lawn Weeder over the entire area. It is suitable for use on most grasses including Buffalo, Couch Grass, Bent, Kikuyu, Paspalum, Red Fescue and Rye Grasses. It is effective in killing bindii, catsear, clover, creeping oxalis, cudweed, dandelion, plain thistle and other broad leaf weeds.

There might then still be some stubborn weeds left, which I would then address by using a glyphosate product similar to Yates Zero weedkiller concentrate. This product can be diluted and placed in a Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush and painted onto the remaining weeds. You do not want to spray this product as any misting onto the surrounding grass will also kill it.

Allow these products full week to kill the weeds before pulling them out. You might find you get remaining bulbs from onion grasses come back up, but I would concentrate on digging those bulbs out as they can be notoriously hard to get rid of.

If you need further assistance or had questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects