Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Yard reno

pepsp
Established Contributor

Re: Yard reno

Hi @pete_brig I love the boardwalk you made! Awesome work. Any advice for me on the size of the H4 timber joists underneath? How did you secure it?

pete_brig
Experienced Contributor

Hi @pepsp 

I used 100x75 H4 pine fence posts on their sides for bearers then innovated ("cheated"?) by using 100x50 H3(?) fence rails for the joists to keep the cost down. I don't know if structural pine would've been more expensive bcos I ended up using 3 lengths for each section to reduce bounce, rather than 2 that I had planned on. Also needed to keep the overall height in mind (75 bearer+50 joist+25 planking=150mm) & can't recall availablity of 100mm structural pine. I just lay the bearers onto the ground (clay), made each section no more than 1800mm, & overlapped the joists on a common bearer so they were all interconnected so less chance of movement. If you wanted to be particular I've seen reo bar driven thru the bearers into the ground to stabilise them. Fixed the joists to the bearers with something like 40x40x40 angle brackets. Again, could go for something stronger but I figured it would only have 1or 2  people at a time on each section so it didn't need to be built like a dance floor :smile: Planking on top was 150x25mm pine cut to 800mm to get an integral number of them from a 4.8m lenth. Planking fixed with 3 x 3 rows of decking screws to reduce cupping. 

HTH but please ask any other questions. Cheers, Peter

pete_brig
Experienced Contributor

Edit on my previous post: joists were 100x50 on their edge, so th overall height was NOT 150mm but 200mm (75+100+25)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects