Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

garden bed makover help

Skk
Just Starting Out

garden bed makover help

I’m a newbie to landscaping and garden makeovers and desperately need some advice.   I’m upgrading an old garden bed  with new Siena sleepers that sits directly against the bottom of our back verandah made from hardwood.  at the moment I just replaced the old garden sleepers which consisted of front and 2 sides ( like a u )  Should I put some sought of membrane moisture / water barrier  between the soil and old wood?   Or is it better to build a rectangle garden bed with new sleepers  Which will create a small gap between the garden bed and verandah   Any advice on matter  greatly appreciated 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: garden bed makover help

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Skk. It's terrific to have you join us and I trust you will get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative members. 

Let me tag the ever-helpful @Adam_W to kick off this discussion - he is extremely knowledgable about timber and has loads of experience making garden beds. 

Looking forward to seeing what you can do to transform your garden. It would be great if you could share some photos along the way.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: garden bed makover help

Hi @Skk and welcome on-board!
So I'm picturing that at the back the soil is directly against the hardwood bearer of the deck?
That's a big no-no for a couple of reasons -
- main one is moisture. The hardwood will end up rotting.
- second one is termites. They can make their way in through the soil and get busy on the timber.

You'll either need a membrane, as you thought or yes, make it a fully boxed-in bed. If that leaves a gap that is excellent as it will allow for air flow and prevent moisture build up.
The boxed-in option would be what I'd do if it was my place.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects