Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to level backyard

felipelarrota
Getting Established

how to level backyard

Good Morning Community I am new and very excited to start projects in my house and whenever I can to help other members. At this moment I have a grass area in my backyard of about 8mts by 7mts and I recently bought a cubby house and a trampoline for my kids. My concern is that the area is not flat and I am not sure if I just simply dig holes where the legs of cubby house and trampoline will be place or should I aim for a more thorough job which I still I don’t know how to do. Thanks a lot for your comments

2C3F7AD1-18CD-4B9C-8B7F-5A41E895A36D.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to level backyard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @felipelarrota. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

We're excited to assist you with your project and look forward to seeing what you can achieve. Although it will be more work I believe the more thorough job would be the best result for the area. If you could provide our members with a few more detailed photos of the area I'm sure they can provide some great solutions.  I'd be interested to see when levelling the area if the height of the white wall is sufficient to hold the additional soil required.

You might need to install treated pine sleepers around the perimeter of the Colorbond fence and the white wall to retain the soil needed to raise and level the area. Here's a helpful D.I.Y article by the fabulous @Adam_W on How to build a retaining wall which I trust you'll find useful if they are needed.

Having a level play area will be a safer, more enjoyable and it will be easier to maintain the environment for your kids.

We look forward to seeing some more images of the area and giving a detailed explanation on how to level your yard.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
felipelarrota
Getting Established

010DEC5E-8DD1-46A2-8D07-125178F53D9B.jpeg

7ADCB9FD-1F3A-4055-8F6B-A9E0F0F5EE03.jpeg

58B5A3E6-D85F-42A3-8FC6-BA6511E52722.jpeg

@MitchellMc thanks a lot for the guidance. I am new into the DIY world and I am very excited to tackle on this first project. I went to Bunnings today and as told that since my cubby high is not ground level I could try to dig one whole I one of the legs to level the cubby house and do the same with the trampoline. Please see a photo of the cubby house

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @felipelarrota,

You certainly could dig down where the legs go and potentially lay a paver at the bottom to provide some support. Alternatively, you could dig a 30 x 30 x 30cm holes, fill them with Australian Builders 20kg Quick-Set Concrete and place the cubby houses legs into the footings. You'll need to level and support the cubby house until the concrete dries. 

An even easier option you might like to consider is just cutting the legs down to suit the slope, you'd just need to remove timber from the legs on the higher sides. You would also need to take into considerations the climbing wall and the angle of the slippery dip.

Let me mention a few experienced community members @LePallet, @Brad, @Stuardo and @Kermit that might have some suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc @Thanks for the suggestions. Since the slope gradient is not that big I may go for the dig a hole for the higher legs to make them even.! The 30x30x30 option is also a great idea and much more long term solution my only doubt to that is that I will lose some height for the cubby house and both the climbing wall and the slide may lose its ideal height level.

Hi @felipelarrota 

looks like you have a fun little project ahead of you. 
All options mentioned above work fine. It really depend on how much work you want to make

for your self. 
Just make sure it’s level and steady. I would personally mark out the corners and dig in corners 

good luck 

@LePallet @Thanks for the feedback I will dig in the corners. I am expecting to receive the cubby house sometime this week and will take my son for a father and son project next weekend. I will send photos once it is completed. Have a great (not too wet) Sunday 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects