Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to make a good strong cider from my excess apples this autumn

sambar
Just Starting Out

how to make a good strong cider from my excess apples this autumn

I'm a new to making a cider and wondering what would be best proportion of apples,sugar-white or brown and a kind of yeast to start the fermentation.It's a 25 litres drum originally making beer in the past also should I boil the rain water first and than cool it to room temperature to prevent any bacteria to interfere with brewing.I know we are into much colder temperatures now so could you advise me if I should use brewing heater which wraps around the drum at the bottom to speed up the process of fermentation.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sambar

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to make a good strong cider from my excess apples this autumn

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sambar. It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

I'm excited to hear about your new hobby. Unfortunately, I haven't done any brewing myself and can't offer any assistance on this one. However, I look forward to any of our members joining the conversation that could lend a hand.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MichelleLameroo
Finding My Feet

@sambar 

Check out this link, hopefully it will help you.

https://andhereweare.net/how-to-make-hard-cider-from-whole-apples/

https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2015/02/how-to-make-apple-cider-vinegar.html this link has a link to a pdf. This is american site, I made apple cider vinegar from the peels/cores etc from this website. I have an indoor wood fire, which helps to keep it warm, but I have heard of people using electric blankets / old school wool blankets wrapped around the fermentation tank.     

Good luck, hope you have success

Hi @MichelleLameroo,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It’s great to have you join us, and thanks for your input in this discussion.

I'm sure this will help plenty of members who are looking for ideas on what to do with excess apples.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects