Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to use a trellis for cucumbers?

ffr
Just Starting Out

how to use a trellis for cucumbers?

i’m a newbie gardener and i planted cucumber seedlings in a pot a while ago and they have gotten quite big. i realised that i need a trellis but no matter how much research i do, i’m still confused on how to use a trellis for cucumbers and what type do i buy for them. if anyone can give some advice, it would be much appreciated! :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to use a trellis for cucumbers?

Hi @ffr,

Cucumbers aren't particularly worried about what type of trellis you use. The tendrils of the vines will grab fences, string, wire trellis, or tall cages and the plant will climb its way up. The structure just needs to be secured strongly enough to bear the weight of the vine and fruit. The larger the structure the more fruit the vine will yield.

The type of structure you use will really depend on your individual circumstance and what will fit. Personally, I grow most vines up standard traditional lattice panel. As the vine grows up the lattice I like to assist it by using plant ties to hold it in place.

There's a whole range of easy to use plant trainers for pots around your garden.

Let me mention @mich1972 to see if she has any tips for growing vines up a trellis.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: how to use a trellis for cucumbers?

@ffr 

Agreed with Mitch !!!! They are not fussy as long as their tendrils have something to wrap around. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects