Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

kids planter box advice

Dark
Having an Impact

kids planter box advice

Hey brain trust how are we on this cool sunday of 36 degree heat...

Ok I've done a 30min kids planter box project at home using scrap wood from my last project. What im wondering is this... do planter box that sit off the ground need drainage holes? Ive lined the inside with black plastic and tried to seal it as much as i can so it retains water more so, as i know boxes like these do dry out fast. Or is this more of a management of how much water goes in. Dimensions of the box is 1160L x 450W x 180H and inside is lined with black plastic

20210217_185859.jpg

20210221_153629.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: kids planter box advice

What a fantastic planter box you've created there @Dark!

Will you be placing this unit out in the weather? If so, you might experience issues with it filling up with rainwater and becoming a pond. Drainage holes will be needed to prevent this.

If it is going to live undercover, then you could turn it into a wicking bed system. You'd start by filling the bottom 5cm with aggregate and covering it with drain matting. Holes can be cut in the drain matting, and a natural fibre rope pushed through them. The rope allows the water to be drawn up out of the reservoir and into the soil. You still need to pay attention to not overwatering, and a hole placed on the side 5cm from the bottom will allow excess water to overflow. I've drawn a rough image below to illustrate.

You might also be interested in reading through the discussion: How to build a wicking bed by @Maursie.

Please let me know if you have further questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks heaps mitch thats a awesome idea

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do. I look forward to seeing the planter full of flowers or herbs.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects