Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are SpecRite FJ Glulam Spotted Gum panels food safe?

Yehnah
Finding My Feet

Are SpecRite FJ Glulam Spotted Gum panels food safe?

Hi there,

I've got some spare FJ Glulam Spotted Gum panels from an old project.

Wondering if this is food safe to make some chopping boards out of? Would the glue be toxic?

Thanks!

Spottedgumpanel.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Are SpecRite FJ Glulam Spotted Gum panels food safe?

Sorry for the slow reply @Yehnah. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts have had to take some unexpected leave in recent days, but I'm sure one of the team will be happy to assist as soon as possible about your food-safe question. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Yehnah 

My apologies for the late reply. If I recall correctly the SpecRite FJ Glulam Spotted Gum panel is covered in a single coat of Feast Watson Industrial Timber Oil. Please allow me to make some inquiries, as soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

Thank you for the reply.
The panels didn't seem to have any form of oil but I am not expert. I've sanded them back to get them nice and smooth for a chopping board, but then realised that they potentially might not be suited for that.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks again.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Yehnah 

I've just been speaking to the Feast Watson Technical Team, and they don't recommend using the SpecRite FJ Glulam Spotted Gum panel as chopping boards. Unfortunately, the oil used is not food grade and there is no documentation indicating that it is food safe.

However, if you are still keen on making chopping boards, I suggest having a look at the Specrite 1800 x 600 x 18mm Timber Multi Use Pine Panel

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Cutting boards by @JoeAzza.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Ahh bit of bummer.

Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Yehnah 

Don't feel too bummed out, I'm sure you'll find another use for it. I suspect another project will present itself soon and your Spotted Gum panels will come into play.

Eric  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects