Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best filler for wall tiles and kitchen bench?

Vinnierose1
Finding My Feet

Best filler for wall tiles and kitchen bench?

Should I use silicone or no more gaps between the kitchen bench and wall tiles? I’m redoing the bottom as it’s super old and cracked and ants are getting through.

Thanks 

image.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Best filler for wall tiles and kitchen bench?

Hi @Vinnierose1,

Great question and I agree that blocking out the ants is very important. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist but let me ask our knowledgeable members @homeinmelbourne@lifestylebymari, and @prettyliving what they would suggest. If silicone is what the group recommends, I suggest checking out this video by Bunnings How to silicone a gap.

Feel free to post questions at any time, we are here to help.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Vinnierose1 

I recommend using Silicone sealants that are designed for kitchen and laundry use. These types of silicone have been tested to work in kitchen and laundry environments that are exposed to heavy moisture, grease and food particles. They have mould resistance built into them and can withstand periodic cleaning. 

My best suggestion is to make sure that all the old silicone has been taken off and the surface has been washed thoroughly to make sure there are no oil or grease deposits left behind.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when applying the new silicone.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks! 

Keep us updated, @Vinnierose1 and please reach out again if you need further assistance; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects