Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Brand New mixer tap doesn't shut off immediately after closing

Shahram
Just Starting Out

Brand New mixer tap doesn't shut off immediately after closing

Hi, I purchased a new kitchen mixer tap, Estilo 35mm Brushed Stainless Steel Side Pin Lever Sink Mixer:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-35mm-brushed-stainless-steel-side-pin-lever-sink-mixer-wels-4-sta...

Shahram_0-1713395829603.png

Installed it with no issue. However, the water doesn't shut off immediately after closing the tap. It slowly stops after 3-4 seconds, on both hot and cold sides. I checked the aerator, it's nice and clean as being brand new. I didn't have this issue with the old one.

Is this due to the fault of the tap or just cheap cartridge? Is this something I can fix?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Brand New mixer tap doesn't shut off immediately after closing

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Shahram. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mixer taps.

Did your plumber follow the process of removing the aerator and running the tap on full to flush out any debris? Do you happen to know if your water pressure at the outlet is below the maximum operating pressure of 500kPa?

The only two reasons the tap would not shut off instantaneously are debris stuck in the cartridge or too high water pressure. Obviously, the question of whether the tap itself is faulty remains. You can always return it to the store of purchase and discuss the issue. Typically, in this case, they'd swap the unit over to rule out the possibility of a faulty unit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, I can confirm the flushing was done however I'm not sure about the water pressure. Considering it's a unit apartment, I think the water pressure is already regulated for all the units (below 500kPa). I think the best will be returning that to the store.

Thanks again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd agree @Shahram. It sounds like there is something wrong as the water should shut off almost instantaneously.

I do apologise for the inconvenience.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects