Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Brown kitchen makeover on a budget

sidrah
Cultivating a Following

Brown kitchen makeover on a budget

20221004_132948.jpg

I was quite bored with my Brown kitchen and wanted to give it a makeover on a budget. I knew the one thing that would make the biggest impact was changing the colors of the cabinets.

I also wanted to upgrade my cabinets to shaker style so popped into bunnings to pick some timber. I cut it to size and made frames from my cabinets and drawers. Secured them with wood glue and a Brad nailer 

Then I lightly sanded my laminate cabinets and primed them with the Stix Primer. I only needed one coat. Once it was dry, I painted the cabinets. I used 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Advance in the shade Tranquil Blue.

Changed put the hardware to gold.

Used paintable 3d wallpaper over the backsplash and got myself a brand new kitchen.

I did this project 6 months ago and everything has held up really well so far. 

20220822_113210.jpg

20220822_113144.jpg

20221004_133020.jpg

For this project, the timber cost me around $250. Give or take. 

I used one gallon of the Benjamin Moore Advanced which cost $176

One can of Stix primer cost $152

If I add in the cost of wallpaper and paint brushes, the entire project would roughly cost $700-$800.

I already owned the tools so that wasn't a cost for me.

 

Sharing a video of how I painted this. Also want to mention that I am no expert and I learn woth every project. One thing I learned from this one was to use slightly thinner timber for the frames. It doesn't matter too much but would have been more convenient. Hope this helps. 

Full Video Tutorial  

20220922_142852.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Brown kitchen makeover on a budget

What an amazing transformation @sidrah!

Your kitchen is serving some tranquil and cheerful vibes that I am sure you are very proud of. When you wrote that if you did it again you would choose a thinner timber for the shaker style, do you mean width or depth?

Again, well done.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sidrah
Cultivating a Following

I'm happy with the width but yes definitely less depth. It would probably make it look more seamless

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

Looks great. Well done.

sidrah
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much ❤️

cmbmcn
Getting Established

Thank you so much for sharing. I absolutely love what you have done. I have moved into a house recently and am looking at the kitchen. There is nothing really wrong with it apart from being bland. Super bland. Thanks for the inspiration.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cmbmcn,

Let me mention @sidrah so they are alerted to your kind comments. 

You might like to start a discussion, share your kitchen with us, and let our helpful members know what you'd like to achieve and what you don't like about the current look. I'm sure we'll be able to come up with some long-term plans or easy methods to spruce up the look of your kitchen. In the meantime, check out our Top 10 most popular kitchen projects for inspiration. I'm sure you'll also find this article on How to plan a kitchen renovation useful.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sidrah
Cultivating a Following

Thank you ❤️

sidrah
Cultivating a Following

I'm so happy to hear that. Even I had no other issues with the kitchen apart from it being too boring, but hey, that can always be fixed, right? 😄

Can't wait to see what you come up with 😍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects