Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I tile over a black glass splashback?

M1Qu1n
Finding My Feet

Can I tile over a black glass splashback?

Hi 

I have just bought a home which we move into next Friday 20th the kitchen has black glass splashbacks which are dark and I dislike them.  I have had tilers saying although they haven't view them it can't be done, which is a concern also I'm told that taking them out could make a mess of the walls behind them.  I am having painters come in to paint the house in 10 days after moving and floor contractors from 23-25th so I either need someone to get the tiles off the wall pronto or hopefully find a solution to the problem that its not necessary to ruin the walls and just tile over top of glass.  I want white glazed subway tiles instead of the black I'm also getting the current cesarestone coated to white as well once tiles are done.  If someone could let me know i.e. whether this can be done and if so names of tiles who are experienced in doing this kind of job please?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can I tile over a black glass splashback?

@M1Qu1n,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I see that you have already seen this previous discussion - Glass splashback redo. In that discussion our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL confirms that tiling over glass is certainly possible, it's just a matter of getting the preparation right. Please have a look at the advice he has provided and let us know if you have any further questions. 

If you don't want to tackle this as a D.I.Y. job, we would suggest you use a site like Hipages or Airtasker to find a tradesperson.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects